Chapter 17 ~ A Small Time Crush

••••

••••

Han entered the tent where Akira was resting and saw her sitting on the bed dressed in a long blue hospital type dress. She was in a melancholy state and her hair was a bit messy. She appeared to be in the depths of despair.

He approached her slowly and placed a chair near her bed which caught her attention. Her face was pale, bruised and her eyes were puffy.

"Are you feeling better," he started the conversation to gain all her attention but she stayed like a statue for a few moments before she broke the silence.

"You came back for me," he noticed that her statement came more like a question in an anger tone. He was surely befuddled by this unlike attitude of hers. "Why would you talk like that? I've always helped you, protected you from every danger since we've met?" He wants to get rid of this bewilderment at once.

"Your cousin. When she pointed her gun at me, she said you were on the same mission like her. Why Han, why did she say that?" He thought that it must have slipped from her memory but she remembered.

"From the first time we met, I recognized who you are. I was a bitter enemy of The Legends but with time we became allies and from the field that I was made me an expert at judging people and by judging you I knew you are an admirable and praiseworthy girl. You are so different from others. Besides I have never killed any innocents in my life. I don't know why so many people want to kill you but one thing I know is you don't deserve all these troubles."

She kept her head down and looked away like she felt embarrassed for trying to accuse Han of being a monster like the others. The way she was clutching her dress tightly, her head turned to the other side proved that she felt something positive for him. Han was much more mature and sophisticated than her.

Maybe she had an infatuation for him but she was mistaking it to be love. He grabbed her hand gently and helped her to stand in front of him. Han slightly ducked to connect their foreheads and placed one hand behind her neck to keep her steady. Akira shut her eyes tight and started breathing profoundly which proved Han's point. She could have prevented him from touching her hand or their foreheads but she didn't.

"Akira, you're a very nice girl. One in a million and you deserve someone much better. I'm not the one for you. I'm an outlaw and much older than you maybe I didn't tell you before but I'm a widower."

Akira opened her eyes instantly and took a step backward. Her eyes were already tearful. She stared at him in bewilderment.

"My wife died two years ago in a rivalry. She was kidnapped, raped, chopped into pieces and thrown in a river. I couldn't rescue her but after taking revenge from those bastards who have hurt her, I became more sociable. When my friend told me about people going missing here, cannibals, it's like I felt that I got a second chance in life to help those who didn't even know that they would be needing help in the future and you are my second chance but I can't give anyone else her place in my heart. I'll never forget you Akira, I like you and I hope you will understand me."

He placed an affectionate kiss on her forehead and said, "You will surely meet the one who is your true soulmate and he'll love, protect and care for you more than anyone else."

He left the tent and took a deep breathe. When he opened his eyes, he found Layla gawking at him. "So, had a nice conversation with your girl," she said boldly which made Han resentful at her.

"Mind your own business Layla," he replied to her the same way she had spoken. She rolled her eyes and said, "I just came to inform you that if ever someone asks about me, just say I was in the same mission as you. No one needs to know the real reason of me being here." Han decided to give her a chance as she wasn't after Akira's life anymore.

After half an hour, they started to pack.

Adam stayed by Olivia's side and never left her even after they had placed her in the plane. Her condition was worse than any of them. Duke helped Akira and she settled down comfortably, staring outside till Maira came to sit next to her which she found totally eccentric.

"Where are the others?" She asked her timidly and Maira replied her with a cheerful smile: "You mean Han or your dad," Akira turned her face to the window and she said to her, "Han and Layla are leaving for Tokyo. They are on the other plane," she turned to face her again and Maira smiled at her.

"So I was right then. You like him, don't you?"

"It's just a crush that will fade soon and I don't know if it makes a difference but I just want to tell you that Asad liked you."

Maira's glowing face darkened and she lowered her eyes; without thinking Akira hugged her and she reciprocated maybe it was the first time that they had shared a sisterly hug.

"It's alright, Maira," she said to her and she replied: "It's very ironic. We came here for a vacation but instead we got lost, fell in love with our rescuers who we know would never be ours." Akira chuckled and she did the same, waiting patiently when they will leave this pathetic place.

"Where's our luggage," asked Akira and Maira informed her that someone from the soldiers had already gotten all their stuff. They waited patiently until the plane was no more on the ground.

"This is it then. Back to London," said Maira. At first she was against this trip but now it held a place in her mind. Akira watched as the one plane changed direction. Her eyes remained glued on it until it was no more in sight.

"Han," she whispered.

••••