Chapter 52 ~ A Matter Of Time

••••  

••••  

It was a moment of restlessness for Akira. Her eyes kept darting to all the people who were going inside and out of Yazzir mansion. Both Ryan and she have been sitting in the parking lot for over an hour and none wished to face those people.

Akira turned off the radio and fixed her hair when a sleek car pulled off not far from Ryan's one.

Ryan observed her reaction first then watched the man go inside.

"Who's he?" He chuckled and flashed a smile. "Don't bother; he is much older than you."

"I didn't ask his age nor do I want to propose him for marriage. He just seems to have a dangerous aura around him so I'm asking casually but if you don't want to answer, it's no problem."

"You don't have to get angry but if you are interested, I'll tell you. That's Arhaan Yazzir, Veer's stepbrother. He is elder and is probably one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. When Veer's father married Arhaan's mother, we bullied the kid. No one knows about his father so we teased him, hurt him severely but he never rebelled. As we grew older, we realized we were wrong and asked for forgiveness for our shameful act. His response was its okay, brothers' fight."

"You were the worst," Akira joked. "You're right. I was the worst but now I want to be among the best and the credit goes to you."

Ignoring Ryan's usual attempt of flirting, she checked the time. There was still fifteen minutes to four and sitting in the car was rendering her suffocating.

"Let's go inside."

Ryan nodded and locked his car after they stepped down. His hand itched to hold hers but he refrained himself. Stopping at the threshold, Akira muttered slowly, "I can't believe I'm here again."

Strong smell of air freshener drifted through her nose as she advanced further in the lavish mansion. There were mostly family members inside but to Akira's horror, her college mates were there. It would be a lie to deny but the tension in the air was sensed as they stepped in the grand living room. Veer glanced at her once and turned his face to the other side clearly acknowledging he is still holding grudges against her.

'Just like you, he is also a victim of circumstances.'

Han words kept replaying in her mind. She didn't know much about Veer's past but one thing was certain; they've both been hurt.

Ryan leant against a wall and Akira stood closer to him. It was obvious their ex-friends were wondering about their presence after today's fiasco but they don't possess the answer either.

It was just a matter of time before Han finally showed up. Eyes were immediately turned at his direction but his searched for Akira. They definitely softened when stopping at her. She smiled at him briefly as Veer's mother approached Han.

"You're looking for someone," she asked.

"Yes. Veer and Eshaan Yazzir, are they here?"

Veer stood up and addressed to him. "I'm Veer." He then ordered a maid to call for Eshaan.

"Han what are you doing here?" Maira questioned as she walked towards him and gave him a light hug. The look of astonishment was worth watching.

"You know this guy?" Sania asked because she has to poke her nose in everything.

"Yeah, he saved Akira's life when we were attac..." she stopped mid-sentence and gulped awkwardly. But it was too late. Everyone heard her clearly and Akira found her being the center of attention. Again.

"You girls were attacked. Maira how come you never said anything?"

Sara tried expressing her concern but Akira was smart enough to figure out that she's only acting like a saint. Mentally, she's probably relishing the news. She also noticed the eye contact between Sameer and Veer and the way the latter's eyes turned towards her, she felt more nervous.

Veer knew about her.

"Well, it's kind of personal and no offence Sara but we are not exactly friends so you get it."

Before the situation could get awkward any further, Eshaan arrived, looking like he just woke up from sleep.

"That's Eshaan," Veer's mother said.

Han sat on one of the couches and gradually the rest took their place eager to know about him. But Ryan and Akira didn't budge from their places. From the angle they were standing, they could see everyone.

"My name's Han Issam and I work as a detective. Few months ago, I met Maira and Akira during their vacation and like she said I saved their lives."

"What does that have to do with us?" Veer asked coldly and at the same time earning a glare from his stepmother.

Han smiled. "No wonder your heart gets bruised each time Veer, you're full of arrogant youth. Anyways I don't know you much so I won't judge but from what I've learnt, I pity you. You didn't deserve to be played emotionally."

Hearing him, Veer claimed the upper hand. "Oh so that means Akira confessed to you what she did to me."

"No Veer, Anisha confessed to me what she did to you."

"Her double personality," Veer couldn't help but smirk, "That girl who sometimes behaves as an incarnation of the devil or the embodiment of the angel or simply just the best actress everyone has witnessed."

Akira's frown didn't go unnoticed as she stepped forward facing all of them.

"What the hell are you talking about? I told you that she is d..." Han interrupted. "She isn't dead. In fact, she is standing right behind you."

Akira's eyes nearly popped out on hearing his statement. The shocked look forming on the faces of everyone as they got up from their seat, some covering their mouth with their hand made her turned around in slow motion.

"Oh my God."

The voices expressing the astonishment made her rooted on the spot.

Akira couldn't believe her eyes when she saw Layla holding her sister's arm, pushing her forward until she stopped right in front of her face. Warm tears filled her eyes as she stared in awe at the girl who bore exact resemblance like her.

A mixture of shock, sadness and happiness flashed in Akira's mind.

"Hello twin sister," Anisha said.

••••