Chapter 19 ~ A Cutting Edge Direction

••••

••••

Akira sat on the sill of the window in her bedroom staring at the soldiers of The Legends and her family talking to each other, having fun and living life to their fullest. She felt jealous and wanted to leave her bedroom, mingled with them like she did when she was a child but this time she couldn't.

Fear engulfed her constantly, messing with her thoughts. She is fighting her battle alone. It was exhausting but she didn't want to let anyone in, fearing all she might face is dejection.

A sudden knock at the door consumed her mind with nervousness. Her eyes could spot everyone on the lawn so who could it be?

Slipping into comfy pumps, she walked towards the door. Each step made her heartbeat thundered with fear. Goosebumps arose on her naked arms as her fingers wrapped around the door handle. She turned it and bit her inner lip waiting for a storm to crush her by seeing someone she is scared of but instead she was greeted by Mary's smiling face.

"Hey. Can I come in?"

Relief washed over her. She let her in and closed the door. Both girls sat on the bed with feet crossed. It was an awkward situation for Akira as Mary hadn't cared about her since they returned.

"How are you doing?"

Akira didn't know how to answer her. Fear was suffocating her day and night. All she sees, imagines, thinks and dreams are all those who have hurt or scared her; the snake spitting venom on her, the cannibals tearing her clothes and chewing on her flesh, Layla punching her body and putting a bullet between her eyes and last Jay Martinez laughing at her, taunting her that she is no less than him.

She is suffering from a non-stop post-traumatic stress disorder. The doctor had confirmed it after Akira had refused to let her advance with the treatment.

"I'm okay."

Mary didn't buy her lie held her hand in hers. She had seen the fear of Jay Martinez in Akira's eyes the first time they saw him. Adding all these episodes and near death have only made matters worse. After nearly being choked under water, Mary had understood the value of life. She pitied Akira as Jay had hurt her even more.

Taking a deep breath, she said.

"The best way for you to recover is to get out of London. I'm not telling you to go to some place surrounded with forests or wild beasts. Just go to a place where you'll feel safe, enclosed with people who will care for you and be there always."

"I don't understand," Akira said letting her words trailed in her brain.

"Maira is going to Rising Star College. Her elder brother Sameer goes there too. What I'm saying is you should go with her, be with your own people but with those who are the same age as you. You need friends. You need to get out of your shell and discover that the sea is full with beauty."

Akira listened attentively to her words. She had always thought of going to a university in London itself. It has never crossed her mind to leave this place. A vacation wasn't meant to last long but tertiary education will.

Maybe she badly needed a new change and who knows her life might change for good.

Everything started to take a new but positive direction. Akira decided to accept help from a therapist and obeyed her every instructions. The nightmares came but she tried her best to overcome the stress that came after.

In a span of four months, every procedure was taken care of. Ready to face the future challenges together, Akira and Maira found themselves in one of the gorgeous cities in the world; Dubai.

A place where a new adventure was awaiting for them. 

••••