Chapter 3 ~ A Shower Of Bullets

••••

••••

A divine smile cracked on Akira's face as she walked out of the hotel ready for a memorable adventure. She has decided to not focus on the mysterious stranger and go with the flow. She just had a good feeling about the day. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

However it all went to downfall.

The jeep that they had booked for going out at an exquisite restaurant on a mountain had been taken by one of the hotel tour guides. So the hotel manager instead offered a van and would not even charge for it as a penance for their blunder.

Adam occupied the driver's seat; Akira sat beside him and the rest at the back. He clearly noticed that everyone's mood was off as they had been excited to drive the convertible jeep. It would have been a first time in their lives but unfortunately the dream has been shattered. To break the silence lingering in the air, he tried to cheer them up.

"Mary it's okay. There's no big deal about it. I'll try something tomorrow, now smile." She only nodded with a slight smile planted on her face.

"Maira you too smile."

"This vacation sucks. We should have gone somewhere else. It's barely been a day and they are already messing up. I'd say we should sue," she said with resentment dripping from her tone. Adam rolled his eyes and smiled at Olivia who reciprocated genuinely.

"Akira?"

"It's just for a day. No big deal."

Adam took a deep breath and brought the engine to life. He was driving with extreme precaution as there were several dangerous turns on the road. One fake motion can lead to a fatal accident. However civilization started to disappear by each passing minutes. All they could see were deep valleys or thick forests.

"Are you sure we are on the right path?" Mary asked, speaking everyone's literal thought.

"Yeah I've seen the map," answered Adam.

"You mean to say there's no GPS in this van?"

"Nope!"

"WHAT?"

The four girls stated in utter shock. They were astonished on learning about this new discovery as they found themselves in the middle of nowhere in a foreign land but they can't even blame Adam. They all started to agree with Maira now. They should definitely sue the hotel for providing the worst customer care ever.

Akira started to feel bored as the road seemed to drag away like eternity. She looked around in the van and found today's newspaper. She grabbed it with an intention of relaxing but on noticing the very first page, her eyes went wide. In bold capital letters the words 'Jay Martinez; deadly psychopath escaped' was written. Her heart pounded fast as she continued to read further. The catchiest line in the five paragraphs written about him was he has killed anyone who has lied to him.

Cold shivers ran down her spine recalling how his dark eyes were training on them.

She swallowed a lump down her throat and placed the newspaper back in its original place and removed her seatbelt to unstiffen her body. She cracked her knuckles and tried to get her mind over it but it was impossible. She found herself in a dilemma. Nervousness and fear was the only thing on her mind currently.

Should she warn them?

Akira fixed her eyes on the road, listening to Adam singing the song playing on the radio at the same time. Maira and Mary were chattering while Olivia had her earphones on. Everyone seemed delighted and she is not stone hearted to snatch their happiness. There was also a possibility of not encountering Jay Martinez again so she decided to keep mum.

But little did she know that the ecstasy will be short lived.

A raining of bullets showered on their van from a group of people who were standing in the middle of the road all of the sudden. The girls screamed and braced themselves but in a panic stricken moment Adam turned the steering wheel to the left causing the van to swerve out of control, flew in the air and crashed into a valley.

The van tumbled over and over before coming to an absolute stop.

••••