Chapter 56 ~ A Heinous Step Sister

••••

••••

"On my sixteenth birthday, I came to Dubai with my friends. It's only then I realized that freedom is the oxygen of the soul. I've never felt so cheerful before to live the way I want to live. A life without restrictions, boundaries, rules."

Anisha's eyes lighted with glee as she spoke of the past.

"The first time I saw Veer was at the Dubai Fountain Show. My friends and I wanted a picture with the fountain behind but we didn't know who to approach until I saw Veer who was typing something on his phone. I asked him gently to take our picture and he agreed with a smile plastered on his face the whole time. He guided us out of the crowd when he found out we were tourists. We shared numbers and I sent him a goodnight somewhere around two in the morning. To be honest I wasn't expecting a reply but it came. It says goodnight, sweet dreams and do you want to visit the lake of love tomorrow."

"Is it true Veer," Han asked and he nodded.

"Hence everything started. Veer came to fetch us and he started being our tour guide. For an unknown reason, I trusted him. I felt safe with him. He was funny, charming, the perfect boyfriend material but my days of freedom were limited to two weeks so I pretended sick to spend more time with him. My friends returned home leaving me alone with him. He gave me a key of one of his apartments. We dated for a month until my mother arrived unexpectedly. She was angry at me for behaving reckless."

The resentment in Farah's eyes didn't go unnoticed at all.

"She begged me to break up with Veer in a way that he will never look for me again. I used Eshaan as my bait and ended our love story. Returning back to Italy was nothing less than an eternity of misery. I spent each night drowning in sorrow because Veer hates me."

"You know you could have talked to me right," Veer stood up and spoke. "Just once Anisha, maybe today will have never existed if you have trusted me enough."

Veer slowly shifted his gaze to the girl whose life he has turn upside down because of misunderstandings.

"I know saying sorry won't help now but I want you to know that I regret falling for the wrong twin."

Anisha's face became red with suppressed anger and gritted her teeth making an effort to avoid any snide remarks that can confirm her as the evil one. She always guessed that Veer will fall for Akira due to their facial resemblance but validating it today was a low blow.

"Please continue Anisha."

Han saved the day for her or it wouldn't have been long before she got up, snatched someone's gun and put a bullet in Akira's head.

"We had a family detective who works for us only to spy on the Malik. He informed us that Akira was going on a vacation. I decided to ruin it. I manipulated my mother and she..."

"...hired Layla to kill Akira," Han continued. "I'm very familiar with that story."

One of the soldiers from The Legends grabbed Layla's arm and brought her in front. "I lied to you, saying I was on the same mission as Han. Well, I would have killed Akira if it wasn't for Han so I'm ready for any punishment Mr. Malik because I was late to realize that I was on the wrong team."

Adeel didn't say a word but his fiery eyes conveyed the message. A pair of handcuffs was immediately secured around Layla's wrists and she sat on a chair with a soldier standing next to her.

"She was unsuccessful. Thank God for that. What happens next?"

Anisha smirked at Layla's state and turned her eyes back on Han.

"A few days before I came to Dubai this time, a video was leaked on Facebook where Veer and Akira were playing bowling. From the ending, the comments saying loser, I knew that Veer didn't like her thinking it was me but at the same time I started growing restless. What if he asks her something that only I possess the answer or worse he fell in love with her? So I blackmailed my mother and we contacted Layla again and made a plan."

"What was the plan Layla?" Han asked.

"To kidnap Akira and replace her with Anisha."

The shocked look was registered on everyone's face.

"But I don't remember getting kidnapped." Akira's voice and confused state of mind almost turned Layla into a liar but she clarified it. "That's only because you were drugged day and night for a week which is why you don't remember anything."

The anger simmering inside of Adeel was reaching its breaking point. If this trial was happening unofficially, he would have already broken the law for the sake of his daughter.

"It was you, the girl who showed up in the red Ferrari, dressed very modern and hanged out with Veer." Maryam who has been sitting and listening everything quietly couldn't hold herself back. "How could I not differentiate between my best friend and a bitch like you?"

"Miss, calm down," a lady officer placed her hand on Maryam's shoulder. She started crying and turned her face towards Akira. "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for judging you for someone else's sins."

Han waited for her tears to stop and resumed his task.

"Tell us how you executed the plan."

"Well, Layla told us it will be easy to kidnap her from the hospital and..." Before she could say another word, Adeel asked menacingly, "Hospital, why was my daughter in a hospital?"

"I guess I'm not the only villain in her life, daddy. Am I right Veer?"

Anisha turned the trial towards Veer who in turn earned a threatening gaze from Adeel. "I saved her life that night. I don't know what exactly happened to her."

Han took a deep breath and realized this would be the moment of truth. Ryan told him everything but they didn't let Akira know fearing she'll be traumatized to relive these awful experiences.

"Okay everyone stay right where you are except you Anisha. Sit next to Layla and Ryan please take her place and elaborate to everyone what you've told me."

So far, Ryan was just a person who has been listening all the cruel things that Akira's family have done to her but now he will be the narrator of all the cruel things his friends and him have done to her. He knew Akira will hate him after knowing the truth but she deserves justice.

After Anisha strolled lazily and took a place next to Layla, he sat down, facing his friends who had terrifying looks on their faces especially Sara.

She was doomed and there's nothing she can do to take everything that she has done back. Her fear stricken face brought peace in Ryan's heart because hurting Akira while thinking it was Anisha was nothing less than cruelty.

With a heavy heart, he started.

••••