Chapter 6

This week has been rough for Mason. Finding out that dad is not his dad has been eating him alive. Mason has been depressed all week. He barely left his room. Christopher Cameron and I tried our hardest to cheer him up. Nothing worked. I love my big brother and I hate to see him like this. I wish I could fix this but the situation is out of my control. The only thing I can do is be there for him when he needs me.

Anyway Christmas is around the corner and I need to shop. I have to get everyone a gift. I decided to head to the mall today. I put on some ripped jeans and a maroon sweater And headed out. Since Mason wont leave his room I will just borrow his car.

I drove to the mall. The first store I went in was guess. I had to get Maxine an outfit.

I held the a beautiful dress. I admired it and thought this would be perfect for my best friend. It was a black body-con dress with beige sequins. "Excuse me but you will have to look in the plus section." one of the workers said to me. I know I'm thick but I am definitely not a plus. I turned around and looked at her. "First of all I am not a plus. I'm a size 8. Second I am Christmas shopping. Your boyfriend should by you some miracle drops for Christmas those edges are deplorable." I said. I turned back around and looked through the racks for other options. So far this dress is the best option so I bought it. My next stop was Versace. I bought cologne for Chris and matching shirts for Mason and Cameron.

My final stop was the shoe warehouse. I bought Max some beige gladiators to match her dress. Once I got everything I got in the car and went back home.

* * * * *

When I got in the house I took the gifts I bought and hid them in my room. I placed all of them under my bed. Nobody ever goes under my bed. I wonder if Christopher wants to spend Christmas day with us. I will ask him later. I have to check on Mason and make sure he's okay. I walked down the hall to Mason's room. He was just laying on his bed. I think he's asleep. I will let him sleep in that case. That reminds me I have my first game for the tournament. I don't get why it has to be the week before Christmas. But anyway such as life.

I went in my room and packed my stuff for the game tonight. "Yo Cameron!" I yelled. "Yeah!" he shouted back. "You coming to my game tonight?" I asked. "Yeah, I'll tell Max and Chris to meet us there." he replied. I continued to pack my stuff. The game starts at 7:30 but I wanted to be there early to warm up. Once my stuff was packed Cameron and I headed to the community gymnasium where the game is being held.

* * * * *
I met up with my team and coach and we warmed up until the game started.

The bleachers are now full and the game is about to start. My first tournament is finally here and the pressure is on me for us to make finals.

The ref blew the whistle and the game started. I took the ball and started shaking the other team. I make the first shot for the game a three-pointer. I hope I can keep this up.

Its almost halftime and we are down 27-25. That's not bad. We could catch up easy peasy. But I am seriously tired. I think I might sit out the third quarter.

The buzzer went off for half time. I am so relieved. I have never been this drained from a game. I guess its because I'm working my ass off and everybody else is being lazy. "Coach can I sit the next quarter out please I'm really tired?" I asked the coach. He shook his head no. Well there goes my chances of rest. I sat on the bench and drank water. Before I knew it halftime was over. Shit. The teams got back on the court and got ready for the start of the next quarter. I swear I feel light headed. I was dribbling the ball after that I blacked out.

I woke up in my bed with my head pounding. I saw Chris sitting on my bed next to me. "Baby what happened?" I asked. "You passed out. You were dehydrated" he replied. "But I drank water." I said.