Sixty Five

May POV

Today's my last day at the office until I start my bed rest.

As usual my back hurts. This kid is heavy and puts a lot of weight on my small back.

I hand people their weekly manuscripts. It's taking me twice as long because my back is throbbing with pain.

"Here you go." I say to Mr. Mason. I hand him his papers.

"Took you long enough." He retorts.

"Excuse me?"

"It took you long enough to give me my papers. And look at that stack you have left." I bite my lip and press the stack of papers against my chest.

"I'm sorry Sir. My back has been on fire all day. I'm trying my best to get these done as quickly as I can." He stands up and fixes his suit.

"All I hear are a bunch of excuses." Mr. Mason tells me. His voice cold. "I want the rest of those done in five minutes."

I have to give manuscripts to people across the floor and this floor is huge.

"I'll try my best." His eyebrow raises.

"You're best? It's not an option. Five minutes."

"I don't know if I can do that in 5 minutes. I can't really walk the fastest."

"Then you must get started then."

"What if I can't get it done in 5 minutes?"

"Then I guess you can leave early today and not come back." I gulp the lump in my throat down.

"I'm trying my best to get everything done before I leave Sir. I-I'm in pain and I'm trying my best to do everything I can to get these done."

"Wanna cry me a river?" I bite my lip harshly. "Being pregnant isn't an excuse for not doing your job."

"I am doing my job." I defend. "I just can't do it as quickly as you'd like me too."

The more the conversation goes on the more his voice raises. Also, he moves closer toward me.

"Is everything alright?" I look to Harry who enters Mr. Masons office. His green eyes look at me then to my boss.

"Sure." My douche of a boss grumbles.

"I heard your voice from down the hall. Are you sure there isn't an issue?" Harry asks. "May?"

"She was just leaving." I bite my lip.

"Can I see the papers?" Harry asks me.

"I-I uh have to give these to people."

"I'll do it. Go to your office."

"Harry," His eyes look into mine. They look angry.

"Go to your office, now." I nod timidly and walk away.

Harry POV

"There anything else you need?" Mr. Mason asks me.

"Do you hate pregnant women?" I ask.

"Excuse me?"

"Do you hate pregnant women?" I repeat myself. "Because you sound like you do."

"I don't hate them."

"Then why are you raising your voice as a woman who is?"

"Remember when you signed a disclosure papers saying that your relationship at work can't be personal? Yeah, stick to that."

"I'm not making this personal. I'm brining up the fact that you were arguing with a pregnant woman who couldn't work as quickly since her back hurts. No empathy there?"

"Why would I have empathy? It's not my fault she's pregnant and can't work."

"She's working." I defend.

"Stop making this personal."

I stare at him. "Don't raise your voice at her again, got it?"

"I don't listen to you."

"You kinda do because I can fire your ass as I please. I can do it with anyone in this office, that includes you. So watch yourself."

"This isn't personal now?"

"I'm trying not to make it personal, but it is now. That woman you're yelling at for not moving as quickly as you please has my child inside of her and I'd rather not have anything bad happen to her or my son. Besides that you don't treat women like that. Especially when they're pregnant. They're doing their job as you're doing yours. Leave it." I say sharply.

"K." I leave this pricks office and slam the door behind me.

I walk to where May is and see she's seated uncomfortably in her chair. Her blue eyes look up at me.

"Can you go home?" I ask her.

"Huh?" She replies. Her eyebrows furrow.

"Can you go home and rest. I don't want you to be here."

"But I have-"

"I'll do it for you. Please just rest and lay down." Her eyes look into mine. "Are you fine?"

"Yeah. I just feel bad I couldn't-" I cut her off.

"Don't be sorry. That prick shouldn't expect you to move fast."

May stands up and shuts off her computer. I kiss her cheek. "I'll be home at my usual time, okay?"

"Okay." May murmurs.

"Is the baby okay?" I ask her.

"Yes, everything is fine." I nod and hug her.

"I love you." I murmur against her.

"I love you too."

A://N

Hello

Comment ?

Vote ?

~lauren