135

May POV

My heart immediately breaks and I kneel down in front of my son and cup his cheeks.

"What happened?" I ask.

"I was g-grabbing my bag to go h-home. I went to the bathroom a-and my class already left s-do I was in t-there alone. Then two b-boys behind me showed up a-and s-started hitting me."

"No teacher said anything outside?" I ask.

"I kept m-my head down t-the whole time walking." My son admits. I stroke his cheek and pull him into my chest.

"Are you in pain?" I ask while stroking his hair.

"My head hurts." I nod and kiss the top of his head.

"Can you tell me the names of the boys?"

"Uh," He pauses. "Henry Linton? And uh t-that one kids f-from the park. Kyle Winston." My blood runs cold.

"Okay. We're going to make a small trip to the school. And I'm going to call your Dad and I'm going to ask Grandpa to come over and watch your siblings." He nods and doesn't argue.

"I'll be right back. Meet me in the kitchen, I'll get you some ice." He nods and walks away.

***

"You need to stay calm." Harry tells me as we walk back to the principles office.

"I am calm." I defend. Finn's hand is in mine.

~

"What do you mean you can't do anything?" I say after we talked to the principle. My voice raising.

"Besides the bruise and cut on his lip there is no other evidence of him being bullied. If you would've reported this sooner, that would be different."

"How? Then, to you, there would be no evidence still." I say defensively. He opens his mouth to speak but I continue. "No, don't bull crap me. Technically I can sue your as--school. Would you like that?" Harry's hand rests on mine. I look at him and see his eyes are soft. "My son deserves to go to school and not worry about getting hit or bullied. He's here to learn, not to be made fun of. These kids are acting like this is fight club."

"I'm sorry this is has happened to Finn." His eyes look to my son who's sitting beside me.

"Are you? Because you just said there's nothing you can do. Why don't we bring in the fu--kids and their parents? Maybe discipline them? I don't know, do your job?" His eyebrows raises at me. "Don't raise your eyebrow at me. We pay school taxes. So technically I'm paying you to sit here and do nothing."

"May." Harry says in a low voice. It's his way of saying "calm down".

"Okay. I'll call the parents."

"Thanks." I look to Finn who's fidgeting with his fingers. I rest my hand on top of his and kiss his cheek. He looks at me and I smile gently.

I know he didn't want it to come to this. But what else am I going to do? Let him be physically hit now?

"How's your eye?" I ask him.

"It hurts when I blink o-or look around." He murmurs. I nod with a frown.

The principle excuses himself to make the calls. "Finn cover your ears." I say to him. He does. I look to Harry who's looking at me already.