--Chapter Thirty-Nine--

Kaira's POV

Serves him right. And I hope it hurt badly. It was his own fault that I bit him. I told him I didn't want it, but no, he had to go ahead and do it anyway. Humph.

As he rubs his sore hand, I barely withhold a grin. Then he looks up at me with a frown and I can't hold it in. Nope.

I chuckle as quietly as I can. His frown deepens and for some reason, my heart is pulled in two. I want to laugh louder, but I also want to apologize. Seriously, I am so confused with my feelings right now. I don't understand them one bit.

"Why did you do that?" he demands, still clutching his hand tightly.

"I told you I didn't want you to feed me! It's your own fault," I argued defensively.

"And I told you I had no choice," he snaps back and I can tell his is not happy with me. But like I said before, he asked for it.

"Just leave me alone."

"Ugh! I have to get you to eat this! How can I get that through your thick skull?" Zane tugs on his hair before picking up the piece of bread once more.

I narrow my eyes, "You try that again and I won't hesitate to bite harder." I mean every word that I say. He is not going to feed me! And I am not changing my mind.

"Kaira," he starts, his voice a bit quieter, "I don't have a choice. Please, just... try to cooperate."

He's pleading. How cute.

"You do have a choice. And I won't have someone feeding me. I am perfectly capable of doing that. Why don't you just release one of my hands? Then I can eat by myself," I suggest, hopeful.

"Fine. But don't try anything, okay?"

"Deal."

Zane reaches up and unhooks my left hand before handing me the bread. I take it cautiously in my hand and bite down on the chewing food. It tastes so good and I practically drool. I didn't realize how hungry I was until now.

Once I'm finished with the bread, Zane starts to hand me the apple. Then I get a whiff of my own stench and my nose curls. Ew. Just... ew.

"Would it be possible for me to get a change of clothes... or maybe a bath?" I ask, feeling a little nauseous from the awful stench.

Happy Thursday!

Kaira's POV: Ithildae