--Chapter Sixty-Six--

Zane's POV:

I nearly jump out of my skin as a blood-curtling scream interrupts my experiments.

What on earth? I already have a vague idea, though, of where the scream came from.

I push my chair back and stand up, exiting my lab. As I walk through the halls, the screams get louder, and I am now absolutely sure where they are coming from. Which is almost worse.

When I arrive, sure enough that was where the screams were coming from. Their volume is practically unbearable now that I am right next to them.

I immediately take action, hitting a button on the panel to open the door, slightly harder than normal.

Stalking in, I see Max, now covered in his own blood, being held upright by one of restraints attached to the wall so that he doesn't fall.

Everyone turns to look at me, a mixture of emotions on their faces.

"What," I speak deliberately, "do you think you are doing?"

"Punishing traitors," One of the scientists, the one holding the whip, spits out, "Since you're too soft to do it."

"Soft?" I take a step towards him, and I can see him involuntarily take a step back.

Another scientist standing nearby, steps towards me, a little too obviously trying to be menacing, "Go back to whatever you were doing, softie," He taunts, trying to keep confident.

Softie? Really? That's it.

I take a large step forward, putting momentum behind my punch into the scientist's face.

He groans loudly and staggers backwards, hands to his face.

"I'm not going to say this again. Get out." I switch my gazes between all of the scientists, including the girl trainee.

Tossing glares at me, they leave, obviously not wanting to fight me. For good reasons.

Zane's POV: Evara