--Chapter Sixty-Five--

Kaira's POV:

I am screaming and crying for them to stop and to leave him alone, but they don't even acknowledge that I'm here. Eventually, my father tells me to hush and I sink to my knees in front of the glass, watching as they hurt Max.

The scientists approach Max with a whip, and I hear them laughing to one another. Their tone is casual, like they are talking about the weather. And it sickens me.

"Please, stop hurting him," I cry hopelessly.

The scientists started by mocking Max and taunting him after he woke up. He ignored them and instead spoke to me, telling me to be strong and hold on. But how can I? I feel like dying.

Then, the scientists got bored of just taunting him and started physical pain. They smacked him around for a bit, seeming to take turns. Some threw punches, while others... I can barely speak of it.

And I can't stop the tears that keep coming. My face is soaked and I don't bother to wipe it away.

"Did you talk to Zane?" My ears perk up slightly at the sound of his name.

"Yes, but he only put him in prison. I personally don't think that's enough," a girl says boldly.

"Heh, ol' Zane's going soft on us," the other man mutters.

The girl chuckles and I can't help but be amazed. Putting someone in prison is categorized as going soft?

"Whatever. We don't need his ideas. We can come up with enough on our own to teach this kid what happens when he betrays us," another scientist laughs. Then, the man holding the whip brings it down on Max's bare back.

I cringe as I see it rip the skin off his back. I can barely look, but I force myself to for Max. So that maybe I can see something that can help us later.

After several minutes of continuous whipping, I turn my eyes away, my resolve gone. Max's back is a bloody mess and he has begun screaming. I know he was doing his best to hold it in for me, but the pain must have become too much for him.

Kaira's POV: Ithildae