--Chapter Sixty-Seven--

Kaira's POV:

I can hardly believe what I have just seen with my very eyes. Zane stopped them from hurting Max anymore, but why? Why would he help Max?

No matter, I am grateful either way.

Zane looks my way and then leaves, closing the door on his way out. Now I'm confused. I can't seem to figure him out no matter how much I try.

Moments later, the door opens again and Zane is back. In his hands, he carries a bowl with water in it and several gauze pads. He sets them down near Max and walks over to me.

Unconsciously, I take a step back from the glass. I internally scold myself for showing fear to him.

An emotion flashes across Zane's eyes and I can almost see regret in them. That, or I just want him to be the Zane I knew before so much that I am imagining it. Which is more likely.

Zane presses a button on the outside of my cell and the glass slides away, leaving nothing between him and I. Suddenly, I want the glass back. I want the security that it oddly provided for me.

"What do you want?" I ask quietly, too tired and empty to be angry or fierce.

He just motions towards Max and then I realize what he means. He wants me to go to Max. And the gauze... oh. He is trying to help.

I slowly climb out of my enclosure, purposefully rejecting the hand that Zane offers me and I am rewarded with him stiffening.

Reaching up, I try to undo the straps holding Max up, but I can't reach them. I try jumping, but that fails as well. I know what I have to do, but I don't want to do it.

Sighing, I say it quickly, "Can you help me?" I turn to look at Zane expectantly. But I catch my father's eyes behind Zane in his prison and his eyes are wide. He doesn't understand what's going on.

Zane starts walking towards me and my father speaks, "Kaira, run! Leave! You must escape!" He shouts with conviction, but I can't leave. I can't leave him and I can't leave Max. He thinks I'm in danger because of Zane, and he may be right, but I need to do this.

Once Max is lowered onto the ground, lying on his stomach, I ignore Zane and dip the gauze into the water. Slowly, I dab it onto his lacerated back, sopping up some of the blood. A quiet groan slips past his lips and I pull it away, afraid I hurt him.

Gently, I lean down and press my lips against his, hoping to soothe some of his pain.

Kaira's POV: Ithildae