--Chapter Eighty-Seven--

Kaira's POV

Why is he leaving so soon? I don't understand it. Does he think I don't want him here?

I pull away from my mother and rush over to Zane, ignoring the pain the flares up. He turns around and I grab his hand, looking up into his eyes.

"Please don't go," I beg.

Zane purses his lips and glances up at my mom. I look at her to see her frowning at Zane.

Then, all at once, I understand. "Mom, he's changed. Truly. I would be dead if it weren't for him."

"I know that dear, but your father is dead because of him," my mother replies calmly.

She knows. Oh, she... knows.

"It wasn't his fault, Mom. It's mine," I say quietly.

"No, Kaira. Don't blame yourself," Zane tells me sternly. I shake my head.

"He died trying to save me. It is my fault," I insist.

My mother has tears in her eyes and she slowly comes over to me, her arms outstretched. I don't hesitate to bury myself in them, letting the tears come once again.

"I'm...so so sorry, Mommy," I cry, hopeless and defeated.

She strokes my hair gently, "Shh, dear. No, no. It wasn't your fault."

"I can't do this anymore..." I tremble, "It hurts so bad." My sobs increase.

"Do you want to lay down?" My mother asks, concerned.

"No... it's not that."

"Then what is it, my sweet girl? Tell me what's wrong," My mother presses me closer to her.

"M-My heart...hurts." There. I said it. Now everyone knows what I've been holding inside me.

My mother leads me back over to the couch and lays me down. She brushes my jagged hair out of my face and smiles down at me.

"You can leave now," Mom says quietly, not turning away from me. I see Zane nod and start to turn away, sending me an apologetic glance.

But I won't have it. He doesn't deserve to be rejected. And it may be selfish of me as well, but I want him here with me.