--Chapter Sixty-Two--

Zane's POV

There's a short silence, before I muster up enough courage to say quietly, "I'm sorry."

Turning abruptly, I stride quickly out of the room.

Before I leave, I hear Kaira scream at me, "I hate you! You've taken everything away from me! I hope you can live with that!"

Once I exit the room, I don't stop. My feet carry me towards the exit of the lab, and on the way, I rip my lab coat off and drop it on the floor. I can't take this.

Once I'm outside the lab compound, now just wearing jeans and a grey T-shirt, I start running. I don't know where, but I keep running.

After what I'm guessing is several miles, I force myself to stop, even though my heart tells me to keep going. To run off the pain. But I know I can't escape it, and fall to my knees.

A drop of moisture hits the ground. Vaguely I'm aware it's coming from me before it turns to quiet sobs.

My life feels like it's collapsing in on me right now, and there's nothing I can do.

Ever since I met Kaira, my life has been confusing. Now, whenever I think of the memories with her, as strange of a circumstance as they were, I feel something inside of me.

I also understand now why I didn't, and the obvious answer fills me with rage.

Of course they would take it from me. What makes me even more angry is that I was too blind to see it.

All at once, something falls into place.

My work is totally wrong. Stealing the one thing that people should be able to call their own? Seriously?

Thinking back, I am thoroughly disgusted with myself. I just went along and helped them with that, all because I enjoyed my work. Enjoyed the science in it. Enjoyed my own pleasure. And pride.

I stand slowly, taking a deep breath of fresh air, and fully enjoying it.

Kaira may reject me, but I have to fix the wrong I've made.

Zane's POV: Evara