--Chapter Eighty--

Zane's POV

I glance down the hallway, and seeing no one, close the door. I go to the unconscious scientist and retrieve the keys to Kaira's restraints from him.

Taking them, I go over to Kaira and unlock her restraints as quickly as I can. As she falls, I catch her gently and lower her to the ground.

She is still sobbing, and buries her head in my shoulder. I smile slightly, enjoying the feel of her in my arms.

Once her sobs have quieted somewhat, I say quietly, "Kaira."

She looks up at me with red eyes, and I smile at her before leaning in and kissing her on the lips softly. It feels right, like this was meant to be, and I don't want to let her go. Ever.

She closes her eyes and kisses me back, wrapping her arms around my neck.

Our kiss is interrupted by a slight hiccup from Kaira, and I smile slightly, leaning my forehead on hers.

She winces, and I quickly lean back, "Sorry," I say quietly, meaning more than hurting her forehead.

She rests her head against my chest, and I can feel her relax in my arms.

Reluctantly, I turn my mind to start thinking of an escape route.

The back exit. I nod slowly, silently thankful that there are so many emergency exits in this facility.

"I'm going to get us out of here." I say quietly, blinking as a drop of blood rolls into my vision. I wipe my face on the shoulder of the white lab coat

She hiccups in response, still leaning into me.

I try standing up, and Kaira cries out in pain. I stop as soon as I started, and with a sense of dread, start to see the extent of her injuries.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper, knowing that all of these are my fault.