--Chapter Eighty-One--

Kaira's POV

I want to tell him that I forgive him, but I feel too weak to speak. And when I open my mouth, all that comes out is another hiccup. Stupid hiccups...

Zane lowers me completely to the ground and seems to be inspecting the damage they have done. His hands move to my stab wound, but I weakly reach up and stop him.

"Don't," I gasp out, not wanting him to see me like this. It won't help for him to see everything they've done to me. And if anything, it will only make it worse.

"I'll be gentle, I promise," he says, misunderstanding me. He gently presses his hands against my stomach where blood is still leaking out.

"N-No..." I try to speak more, but I just can't. None of my body is obeying my commands and I can feel it shutting down.

Instantly, he removes his hands, worry written all over his face, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you." I can tell he is struggling to stay strong for me. The guilt is eating him alive.

I try to explain again, but I can't. No words come out, and in their place comes a moan.

In response, Zane leans down and kisses me on my grungy and bloody forehead, going very slowly so as not to hurt me. "I am so sorry, Kaira. I shouldn't have left you. This is all my fault."

There it is. The guilt he has been feeling. But it is misplaced guilt, because he's here now, and that's all that matters.

I want to scream loudly in frustration. I want to tell him I love him and that none of this is his fault, but I can't. I can't speak a single word. So of course, I start crying.

My sobs get louder and louder, my body trying express what it is feeling. All the emotional and physical pain bottled up into one sound.

Zane looks even more pained as I sob loudly, his hand rubbing the side of my head softly, waiting for me to calm down.

"Shh, it's okay. You're safe now. Shh," he tries to soothe me. But I just want to speak.

Finally, I can feel whatever drug they gave me start to wear off as my senses become more dulled. First my vision, where everything starts to become blurry, then my hearing.

Everything becomes dulled and blurry, including Zane. I blink several times, then I am finally offered release.

And I take it, slipping into the black oblivion.