--Chapter Forty-Seven--

Kaira's POV

The man finally leaves after finding another way to hurt me. Apparently he didn't like it when I wouldn't answer his questions.

But I guess he finally gave up and now I am alone. I wish I could do something or try to escape again, but everything hurts so bad. Every breath I take causes me agonizing pain even worse than before.

A little later, the man comes back in and hauls me to my feet. He is none too gentle and I whimper quietly. Apparently he hears it and I hear him laugh.

"Don't worry, little princess. It'll be much worse soon," he taunts. I groan and allow him to drag me out of my cell and into the sterile hallway. Images enter my mind of me running from Zane, and it gives me an idea. A crazy one, but still an idea.

Abruptly, I pull out of his loose grip and kick him as hard as I can in the stomach. Startled, he stumbles back a step. I don't waste a moment and scurry away down the hall. I can hear him pursuing me and it makes me run even faster.

I turn around another corridor and see a room off to the side. Hoping I can hide inside, I yank on the handle. Thankfully, it is unlocked and I quickly hurry in and close the door behind me.

I lean against the door breathing hard and I feel my adrenaline wearing off. And with it, my endurance to the pain. It all comes back to me and I grit my teeth. I let myself slowly sink to the floor.

"What do you think you are doing?"

I whirl my head up to see Zane staring down at me, just a few feet away. Overjoyed, I stand up and rush over to him, throwing my arms around his neck and ignoring the pain the makes me want to stop.

I am so glad to have found him, that I almost miss the feeling of him recoiling at my touch. He pushes me back and I am so surprised that I fall on my back.

He looks surprised and confused to see me here, which would make sense, but why can't I see any care or love in those eyes of his? Maybe he really doesn't care...

Even though I kept telling myself that it wasn't real, deep down I knew it was. But now, I'm not so sure. I can't see anything in his expression that says he's happy to see me.

"How did you get out?" He demands.

"I-" I start to tell him, then I realize that it doesn't really matter, "It doesn't matter," I tell him what I'm thinking. "But please, help me get out of here! I thought you were hurt or something when they took you away from me and I didn't know what to do and someone else came in and they were hurting me-"

While I'm speaking Zane comes over and grabs my arm, standing me up. But his touch isn't gentle in the slightest.

"Why should I help you?" He says coldly. I feel a pang in my chest.

"Zane, I thought you... maybe... liked me," I finish quietly.

Oh my, you guys are probably really upset now X( sorry...

Kaira's POV: Ithildae