--Chapter Forty-One--

I feel so much better now that I am out of my disgusting clothes. I didn't even realize how much they were covered in vomit and blood until I took them off.

But I am grateful to Zane for getting me this shower. I needed it. And it even helped my head some. The cut doesn't sting as badly as before, which I take as a good sign.

I glance around the clean hallway as Zane leads me back to my cell, looking for any chance to make my escape. My hands are handcuffed and I irritably rattle the metal, knowing if I try to get away that could be a hinderance.

"Please don't," Zane mutters under his breath. I have a feeling he is starting to read my mind. Which is not good. But I decide to play dumb.

"Don't what?"

"You know what. Now don't try anything."

I shrug. "Can't make any promises."

I hear him groan, "Why do you keep trying?"

"Because my family wouldn't want me to give up," I say simply. Hopefully it will put a stick in his conscience.

We round a corner and I see a metal box mounted on the wall. Thinking quickly, I wrench my arm out of Zane's grip and rip the box off the wall. I swung it around to knock Zane out with, when he grabs both sides of my head in his hands and... kisses me?

He presses his lips against my own and I am so surprised that I drop the box. The kiss is sweet and when he pulls away it leaves me wanting more. But why? Why would he kiss me? I'm stunned.

Then he grabs my arms still handcuffed together and pulls me back to my room. I am so confused that I don't even resist. That kiss felt so real, but it seems like he just did it to distract me. Stupid emotions! You are making everything worse!

Back in my cell, Zane takes off the handcuffs and gives me a look before attaching my arms and legs against the wall. I stare at him, confused, as he leaves my cell.

But before he makes it out, several scientists storm into the room and head towards him. They grab his arms and drag him away. He looks just as confused as I am, and I can't help but feel scared. For him and for me.

And all our readers be like: OH SNAP

ANyway, sorry for the delay in the update! We reached 2k views, though! So thank all of you so so much!

Kaira's POV: Ithildae