--Chapter Fifty-One--

Kaira's POV

They just finished testing more things on me and are finally taking me back to my room, I assume. My head is pounding heavily and I am having trouble thinking clearly. But nothing feels right, and I can't seem to sort a single thought in my head.

I am vaguely aware of being wheeled through the halls on a cold table; my wrists and ankles are strapped down and I move my head back and forth slowly. The fluorescent lights hurt my eyes so I force them to stay shut.

The table I'm on stops moving and I hear the whir of machinery. Then, I feel someone's hand on my forehead. The hand is slightly rough and calloused, but when I open my eyes I am surprised by who it belongs to.

A young man stands over me, concern displayed on his face and his eyebrows drawn tight. His creamy brown hair flows, slightly tussled, over his head and I have the urge to run my hand through it. It certainly looks soft.

I send him a look of confusion, too exhausted to speak. He seems to understand and removes his hand.

"I was checking your temperature," he explains, "You're burning up."

I don't say anything, but feel my eyelids start to close again.

"What's your name?" he asks, disturbing my peace again.

I don't want to speak, but for some reason, I do anyway. "Kaira," I croak. Wow, my throat is so dry.

"I'm Max," he shoots me a smile before going out of my eyesight. When he returns, he has a white cloth in his hand.

"I'm a doctor here," he speaks softly, and begins patting my forehead with the cloth that is slightly damp.

"Why?"

He looks at me curiously, "Why, what?"

"Why are you being kind to me?"

His hand halts and he looks away from me. Finally, he answers, "What they are doing is wrong."

Kaira's POV: Ithildae