--Chapter Sixty-Three--

Kaira's POV

It feel so good to talk with my father after not hearing his voice for so long. I feel the ache in my heart lessen slightly and it comforts me. Even though my dad is stuck here with me, it still helps to be nearby.

I tell him about what has happened with me and try to leave out the parts that would only anger or sadden him further. But he sees right through that and gets me to come out about everything. By the end of my explanation, I can tell he is seething. I may not be able to see him, but I can hear by his heavy breathing and the sound of his fists hitting the walls and glass.

"Dad, it's okay," I say, trying to calm him down.

"No, Kaira, it's not. That man, he ruined our family. He ruined and hurt my baby. It is not okay."

"But I'm fine now!" I insist, "Please don't do anything stupid! I don't want to lose you again."

"Don't worry. Nothing is going to happen to me. Or to you. I'm going to get us out of here." I hear him shuffle around his cell and then a soft thump, indicating he sat down.

I sit down as well, sinking my head into my hands. My heart feels heavy and I want to rip it out. To make the pain go away. I can't understand it: why do I have to suffer so much? Why am I so confused? I can't even think of Zane. It just hurts too much and causes me to want to scream.

A click outside my cell pushes away my thoughts and I look up to see what it is. Several scientists are setting up items on the far wall opposite where we are, and I am surprised. I must have been so intent on my thoughts that I didn't hear them enter.

They quickly finish what they are doing and come up to us. I see several of them glance at me, but other than that I am ignored. Instead they go to my left and open... no. No! Max is in that cell.

Moments later, Max is dragged out of his prison, still unconscious. They bring him over to the wall and stretch up his hands, binding his wrists to something above his head. When they let go, he sinks slightly, but is held up by his arms.

By now, I am panicking and want to do something, so I start banging on the glass. Somehow, I know it won't do any good, but I have to try. It's my fault Max is in the position he's in now, and I can't just forget that.

The men ignore me while one takes a hold of Max's shirt and rips it down the back before removing it from his body and throwing it to the side.

"NO!" I scream.

Hello everyone! We apologize for the long wait! Wattpad was being quirky and wouldn't let us save anything on our profiles! It looks like it is finally fixed, so hopefully our updates will go back to being more regular! Thank you for your patience!

Kaira POV: Ithildae