Chapter 55

~A~

Owen had stayed mostly out of sight in the kitchen while Sang ate. He'd noticed, of course, that she was eating the rather full plate of food pretty quick.

She didn't normally eat that fast, nor did she typically eat that much.

His eyes flicked over the three women at the table. His darling, Sang. Kota's mom, Erica and sister, Jessica. All three women had a piece of his heart.

Sang was the woman he hoped to build a future with.

Erica was the mother that he'd needed since the age of 13 when he no longer had one of his own.

Jessica was the sister that he'd never had, the one he vowed to look out for no matter what because she was the first girl that ever wrapped him around her little finger.

Sang was uniquely different than any woman he'd ever known and the most Academy of any woman he'd ever known. The two women with her were also more than worthy Academy recruits but he knew enough after all this time to never, ever suggest it to Kota. He started slightly when a hand landed on his shoulder.

"Quite the eating habit today for Pookie." Sean commented in his ear. 'She never eats that fast."

Owen pushed his glasses up slightly on his nose. "No, she doesn't. I wonder what's going on in her head today. She's ..." he shrugged. "If I get a chance, I may just ask her if she wants to speak to her therapist by phone."

Sean's lips drew down into a frown. "You think?" He asked. "It's been a while since she needed to speak to her therapist."

Owen inclined his head slightly. "Yes, but she's either had a good breakthrough or a bad memory and she's learned to school her features well enough that I would need a closer look at her to see what's going on in that beautiful head of hers."

Sean nodded slightly. "I can understand that. And if she doesn't need to talk to the therapist, maybe she'll be able to talk it out with you. I believe you do have the seat next to her for the first few hours of our journey today."

Owen brightened. "Very true. Thank you, Sean for reminding me."

Sean chuckled and slapped Owen on the shoulder. "Just doing my job as your best friend." He said.

"you always do your job." He said in return.

Sean's ears turned pink. "I do try."

Owen smiled slightly. "I know."

"You've never made it easy on me, O-man." Sean grinned.

"Oh, not that nickname again." Owen sighed, pushing his glasses up and pinching the bridge of his nose. "I had more than enough of that one while you were studying human anatomy ... reproduction systems, wasn't it?"

"Yup." Sean grinned again and popped the 'P' sound at the end of the word.

"Failing it on purpose of course."

Sean shrugged. "perhaps."

Owen raised an eyebrow at him. "yes..." He nodded.

"Fine, fine." Sean waved it off. "I passed."

"After Dr. Roberts caught on to you." Owen said dryly.

Sean shrugged. "It was time to move on anyway."

"Glad you realized it." Owen glanced around. The kitchen was almost cleaned up. "Time to get ourselves on the road, I believe." He checked the clock.

"Yes." Sean nodded. "I'll go get things moving in that direction. Good chat." He said, patting Owen on the shoulder before he headed out of the kitchen.

Owen shook his head slightly before snorting softly.

Good chat.

Sure.

Owen glanced at the clock again and went to make sure he had everything he needed in his bag. It was about 7 hours to Orlando and they'd probably end up with 2 bathroom stops and lunch which would make it closer to 9 hours before they were at their condo.

He had to admit he wasn't really looking forward to the road trip part of the vacation. There was a reason he and Sean let the boys and Sang go on ahead this year to camp. Well, more than one reason, really.

They were old enough to drive themselves and he had to admit, a few of his brothers tended to grate on his last nerve on long car trips.

He hadn't paid enough attention to the car assignments but took solace in the fact that they were switching cars at the breaks they took. Hopefully, he'd get to spend some time with Sang and get a chance to talk to her about what had happened this morning. If not, well, he'd do his best to enjoy it.