DIFFERENT

The life Lucas had got better and better as each day passed. His reputation in school improved. He wasn't treated as an outcast anymore.

"Morning, Lucas," greeted one of the students who was wearing dark-rimmed glasses. Lucas couldn't seem to recognize her. Maybe she was from one of my classes, he suddenly thought.

"Uh, hi....Hmm, El –"

"Melissa. That's my name." Melissa interrupted Lucas and smiled at him. "I'm the head of the book club here in our school? Don't you remember me? The seventh grade nerd? Doesn't ring a bell?"

Lucas shook his head. He really wasn't social even when he was young. His father was the only one who understood his eccentric ideas and his distrust towards people. He wasn't really emotionally attached with anyone and he didn't like the feeling of having no freedom. He just wanted to fit in and he would do anything to have friends once again.

"Well, that's surprising. I guess you wouldn't remember me judging from the fact that you loved being alone."

Lucas raised his eyebrow at Melissa. "I do?"

Melissa shrugged. "Well, you always were alone before the incident with Kyle. I mean, you hang out with them all the time but you were always out of place, if you know what I mean?"

Lucas frowned. He never thought that he gave off that vibe. He did love being alone but he didn't want to feel alone and abandoned. Lucas realized that his peers never wanted to be friends with people who liked being alone. Maybe that was why only Kyle and Namya were close to him before. They were the only ones who attempted.

What if his father was wrong? What if being himself was never going to get him far in life? He didn't like being restricted or controlled but what if limitations are the keys to success? What if he tried to change into a social person? Maybe he wouldn't be happy in trying to socialize but would he even be happy being alone forever?

As he said goodbye to Melissa, he couldn't help but think twice if his father was even right. After all, he never succeeded in life. He always told Lucas to be different but was being different the right thing to do? Wasn't being different a cause for other people to become depressed, to kill themselves?

"I shouldn't be different. Society would shun me if I continue this."

A tear fell from Lucas's eyes and he wiped it off with his hands. He stopped from a store window and looked at his reflection determinedly. He would try to change, to stop being so different. He would earn new friends and become a better person to other people's eyes. And he would try to forget his father. His father was the cause of Lucas losing his friends. His feelings of grief and anger led him to lashing out in the school. "I don't want to be different, not anymore."