THOUGHTS

A gust of wind blew and the silence in the park seemed to comfort Lucas more than ever. He didn't want to go to another party so he reasoned out that he still have work and he needed extra hours - "It's for my Mom's debt," he reasoned out – so he was excused. Luckily, Kyle was actually more excited since he wouldn't be at the party so it was a win-win situation for both of them.

Lucas reflected on what happened to him these past few weeks. He became a part of the popular group, he earned extra shifts in the museums, he was almost near in paying all of his Mom's hospital debt and he was going to meet his real mother tomorrow. What more could go wrong in his life?

Don't change yourself, Lucas. Society doesn't have a say on who you are, son.

He suddenly remembered his father's words and sighed. Lucas couldn't seem to forget about everything his father told him. He knew that if he didn't forget it soon, it would only hold him back from being successful. The first step was to never come back to this park again.

Lucas stood up and looked around. He could see the blazing petals of the flowers near him, their colors balanced from orange and red. He could see the colors of the sky, the setting sun sending a hue of light on the clouds. He could hear the chirping of the birds and he could smell the bread from the nearby bakery. Nostalgia filled him and he shook his head. He used to admire this park when he was young, but now he shouldn't. He had to start anew. He had to let go of this place.

A part of him was screaming for him to come back to the park, for him to relive the memories of his childhood and he blocked it out. He felt a pang on his chest and tears welled up in his eyes. He knew that he was going to miss this place but he had to let go. He had to.

"I'm sorry, Dad. I have to forget you."

"You don't mean that, don't you?" asked a familiar voice behind Lucas, causing him to stop on his tracks.

"I mean it, Chris," replied Lucas bitterly without turning around. "I have to let go of him. I have to accept that he wouldn't come back."

Chris sighed. "You have a point but letting go doesn't mean that you have to forget him."

"I have to, Chris!" yelled Lucas. "Don't you understand?! His words are the only thing that goes through my mind and it hurts so much."

The tears that threatened to spill almost went out of Lucas's eyes but he held them in. He turned his cold gaze towards Chris and finally said," Don't ever attempt on trying to get me back to this place or you'll regret it."

Lucas walked away and looked at the road in determination. He wouldn't let his father envelop his thoughts again. His thoughts of his father would stay hidden in the back of his mind for a very long time. Maybe even forever.