HYPOCRITE

Lucas laughed for the second time. Kyle was telling a joke to the whole group and even though, he didn't really get it, he still laughed. He didn't want to be the odd kid anymore. He wanted to be normal and that's what he will strive to be.

"So, Lucas, what do you think of being in our squad?"

Lucas stared blankly at Samuel, one of Kyle's friends. He didn't want to say that he wasn't enjoying every single moment he was spending with them. He didn't want to say that he preferred looking through artworks in the museum he was working on or being alone and thinking about his life. Lucas loved reflections. That was one of his favorite hobbies to do in the day. Still, he must fit in with this group if he wanted to succeed. And so he replied, "I think it's really fun!"

Lucas's fake enthusiasm seemed to be overlooked by the whole group. "That's good, bro!" exclaimed Samuel. "I wonder how you could even handle being alone."

Lucas forced a grin. "I think it's probably because I was ashamed of what I did."

All the boys in the table stared at Kyle who waved his hand away and said, "It's all in the past. All is forgiven. We all make mistakes so what's the point of wallowing over a simple thing as that?"

The boys except for Lucas patted Kyle at the back. "Well said, bro, although you sound like a girl," replied Samuel. Kyle winked at them while the boys howled with laughter.

As Lucas forced a laugh, he noticed a mischievous glint in Kyle's eyes. It was as if he was telling all of them that none of what he said was serious and he was just saying it throw Lucas off his back. Lucas wasn't stupid. He had this bad feeling that Kyle didn't really want to forgive him. He was just forced to do it, just like how Lucas was forced in this table of torture, faking his happiness in being part of the group.

"I can't wait 'til tomorrow! Audrey's party seems great."

Kyle grinned at Samuel. "Cheeky, aren't you? That girl's got nice ass."

Samuel winked at him. "You bet." Samuel turned to Lucas and said, "You should come too."

Lucas looked at Samuel in surprise. "Me?"

Samuel chuckled. "And who else?"

"Cut him some slack," whispered Kyle. "He's never gone to a party."

Samuel gaped at Lucas. "Never gone to a party? The fu – well, you know what? You really have to come to this party. There's gonna be lots of girls there and we could have some booze and if you tell me you haven't had one –"

Tristan, the brown-haired boy beside Lucas, cut Samuel off. "Excuse him, Lucas. He's really just very hyper."

"Hey!" Samuel playfully punched Tristan who just laughed.

When the lunch period ended, Lucas couldn't have been happier. The entire period lasted for an hour but Lucas felt as if a day had passed already. It was pure torture for him and he couldn't wait for class to end. He didn't want to go to the party the boys were talking about but if he had to do it to succeed, then he would have no choice but to go.

As Lucas walked to Biology class, he winced at his behavior. He was faking every action he was doing and every emotion he was feeling in school and he didn't like it one bit. He valued originality more than anything but his desire to fit in defeated his desire to be original. He was a phony, a fake. He was a hypocrite and if that was how he would succeed, then so be it.