RISKS

"Lucas, you'll have a day off tomorrow. Thank you for working here in the museum!" exclaimed Karlos.

Lucas smiled. "It's been a pleasure."

Lucas had been in a good mood ever since Audrey's party ended. He wasn't forced to like anyone and he didn't need to fake his personality.

Lucas never enjoyed hanging out with Kyle and his friends. Sure, Samuel was pretty decent as well as Tristan but the others were people he used to avoid and dislike before. But that's what makes me happy so I better continue this, Lucas thought, trying to convince himself that everything's going to be alright for him.

As he arrived home, Lucas thought more about what his mother told him last night.

"Lucas, this is the perfect opportunity for you to meet the one who gave birth - "

"To whom? To me? She's not my freaking mother! She left me to you!" shouted Lucas angrily. "I'm trying, Mom, alright? I'm trying." Lucas sighed. "Please, Mom. We have a lot of time to meet. Just please, not now."

Elena looked at Lucas worriedly. "Are you having problems, Lucas? Is there anything you want to tell me?"

Lucas hesitated for a second and shook his head. "None, Mom. I'm just tired."

It had always been Lucas's wish to never meet his real mother, the one who gave birth to him. Still, he knew that if his father were still alive, he would've told him to don't ever attempt meeting with his real mother. But now he knew better. His father was wrong, so terribly wrong.

And so Lucas dialed his mother's number and the phone rang for a few minutes before a voice answered, "Hello."

Lucas gulped. "Hi, Mom!"

Lucas winced at how enthusiastic he sounded.

"Yes?"

"I'm going."

Elena gasped. "Going where? Don't tell me you're going to jump or - "

Lucas snorted, cutting of his mother. "No way! I'm still young, Mom!"

Elena sighed in relief. "Thank goodness! So where are you going?"

"I'm going to meet her."

"Are you serious? You're going to meet your real mother? For real?" asked his mom.

Lucas took a few minutes to calm his mother down and chuckled as he did so. "Yes, Mom, I'm going to meet her. Just text me the details."

"Of course. Bye, Lucas," greeted his mother before ending the call.

Lucas sighed. He felt as if a weight on his heart was lifted. He knew that he hid from his father the desire to meet his real mother because he feared that she wouldn't be what he imagined her to be. Still, he knew that it would be unfair if she continued to judge her based on what his father told him.

Lucas plopped down on the sofa and picked up a bag of chips on the table beside him. He took a bite from one of the chips and smiled. Maybe he was getting more courage after trying to fit in. Maybe he could truly be happy. Maybe what he needed was a little dose of taking risks.