For the Love of Boxing

Laxus and Jasmine walked side by side through town. Jasmine walked slightly slower because she had no idea where she was going. Laxus, on the other hand, was going over everything in his head.

He got the location of a boxing match that was taking place in about an hour from Bickslow. He's never been to a boxing match, so he doesn't know what to expect. He just hopes that she'll like it.

As the two got closer and closer to their location, loud music could be heard and Jasmine saw a crowd of people surrounding the entrance of what looked like a corner shop called Fitness Mania. Furrowing her eyebrows but not paying the place no mind, Jasmine decided to look elsewhere.

That is, until, from the corner of her eye, she saw Laxus start to walk in that very direction.

"Laxus, where are you going?" She called out to the blond.

"Hmm?" He hummed, looking over his shoulder at her. "This is where I'm taking you."

"You're taking me there?!"

"Yeah," He stopped walking and rubbed the back of his head shyly, "I thought it'd be fun. Thought maybe you'd be interested."

"Well, what exactly is it?"

"You'll see."

Smirking, Laxus grabbed Jasmine's hand and pulled her toward Fitness Mania. There were a lot of people already waiting in line, the same people who were crowding around the place. Laxus told himself to remain calm and to be patient. He wanted to impress Jasmine and scaring her probably wasn't the best thing to do.

Once it was their turn to be let in, the man at the door gave Laxus a pamphlet of the event.

THE FIGHT OF THE CENTURY:

RICK THE BRICK: DEFENSE MASTER VERSUS BROCK THE ROCK: OFFENSE MACHINE

Inside, the building was extremely loud. People were screaming in anticipation of the upcoming match. The blond led Jasmine to a seat to the right of the entrance and at the front of the bleachers that were on that side.

"Laxus, what kind of event is this?" Jasmine asked, having to shout over all of the noise.

"A boxing match." He replied.

"Boxing?" Jasmine asked once again, unsure if she heard him right.

"Yeah, you don't like boxing?"

"I've never seen it before."

"Well, here's your chance."

A bell rang, signaling the beginning of the event. Jasmine started feeling nervous as she watched a man walk out with a microphone. She has never been to an event this rowdy and loud, especially not boxing.

What made Laxus think this would be fun?

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to a special event here at the Fitness Mania Boxing Gym!" The crowd cheered before the man continued, "Tonight we are going to have Rick the Brick versus Brock the Rock! ARE YOU GUYS READY!" The crowd once again responded with cheering.

This is a boxing gym? Jasmine wondered. A gym made specifically for those in the boxing career. A career in which you professionally fight other people for a living. She honestly didn't know how she felt about this "sport."

Two deep battle cries echoed through the room before two large, buff, muscly men ran out and into the ring. The crowd became louder upon their appearance.

Laxus found himself enjoying the atmosphere. He liked to fight an opponent of equal strength, so since there was no magic here, this was second-best. He glanced at Jasmine to see if she was enjoying the atmosphere just like he was, but she still had this feeling of being overwhelmed on her face.

This was a dumb idea. He thought, looking back at the ring.

A bell rang again, signaling the start of the match. The men circled each other, their gloved fists held up in defense. The thrilling anticipation of the first hit filled the room as viewers and fans looked on.

Brock, who had blue boxing gloves on, went for the first hit. Acting like an electric current and stricking Rick, wearing red gloves, in the jaw which left a stinging sensation.

Jasmine gasped while everyone else became loud again, cheering at the top of their lungs. Upon seeing that hit, Jasmine felt a spark jolt through her body. She instantly wanted to see more. Adrenaline coursed through her bloodstream as her eyes widened with anticipation and she found herself leaning forward in her seat.

She surprised herself by being so facinated with boxing.

After the match, Laxus and Jasmine walked out side by side again. People left Fitness Mania talking about how fantastic the match was.

However, Laxus took Jasmine's quietness as her not liking the match. "So, I take it you didn't like the boxing thing." He sighed, disappointed that the plan didn't work. "Sorry about that, I-"

"Are you kidding?" Jasmine interrupted, she looked up at him. He took note of how her eyes lit up with excitement. "That was awesome!" She exclaimed.

"Really?" He asked, not wanting to get his hopes up.

"Yeah, did you see when Brock did that punch to the cheek?" She said, demonstrating the move.

Laxus couldn't help but chuckle lightly at her.

"I think I heard bone crack." She added.

"So, would you be willing to go again . . . sometime?" Laxus asked nervously, rubbing the back of his head.

"Of course!" She grinned, trying to contain her newfound excitement.

"Heh," He smirked, his heart soaring with Jasmine's approval. "I'm glad you liked it. I didn't think you would."

"I'm surprised myself." She glanced at the ground, thinking about her earlier thoughts and worries. "I didn't think I'd like watching two giant men beat the snot out of each other, but I'm glad you brought me here because I was actually into it." She looked up at Laxus with a smirk, "Looks like we've got something in common now. So, you like boxing?"

"Uh, yeah." He gave her a small smile, "I just like fighting." He shrugged his shoulders, "It's the one thing I'm good at."

"So you box?"

"What?"

"Are you a boxer? You said fighting is the one thing that you're good at."

"N-No, I'm not a boxer. I train with my team though."

"Your team?"

"Uh, Freed, Evergreen, and Bickslow. We sometimes spar together. They help me get stronger."

"Hmm." Jasmine hummed, nodding her head in understanding.

Laxus, on the outside, was his normal, calm, and slightly emotionless self. However, on the inside, he was overflowing with joy and happiness. The girl he loves, the girl he's trying to get to fall for him, enjoys something that he enjoys.

It's his first step to breaking this curse that he and his team are trapped in. It's also his first step at getting back to his Jasmine, the real Jasmine, and seeing her again.

Now, it's only a matter of time.