New Hope

"So what should we do, Laxus?" Freed asked.

Over the next several weeks, Laxus' head was healing up nicely. His trio of friends made sure to take care of him inside of school and out. They also tried to have him help them expose Cobra for his actions. That way Jasmine would know the truth, Laxus could win her heart, and the curse would be broken.

However, every time it was brought up, Laxus dismissed the issue. He was even lying about what had happened. When his grandfather practically had a heart attack upon first seeing his injured form, Laxus told the old man, "There's no need to worry. I just tripped on spilled water going down to the junior level of school."

He was doing exactly what Cobra wanted and he despised it. He couldn't stand it! He was being bullied and bossed around like the peasant of a country.

It's hard to believe that someone as large and well-built as Laxus would be bullied by Cobra (though Cobra is no couch potato either).

It only made Laxus even more angry.

The worst part of it all was that he hasn't seen Jasmine since that night -- that night he almost kissed her -- despite the fact that they go to the same school and are in the same grade level.

She's in his homeroom and he does look at her because it's the only time he can, but she doesn't look back. She doesn't go near him. Since she sits in front of him, all he's seen for the past several weeks is the back of her head.

She's completely ignoring him.

It made his heart ache.

"I told you guys," Laxus sighed, leaning his head against the palm of his right hand in a lazy manner. "don't worry about it. Just let it go."

"Let it go?" Evergreen scoffed, "Laxus, Cobra should be exposed!"

"I agree." Freed said.

"Yeah, why don't you just say it was Cobra who beat you up?" Bickslow folded his arms across his chest, "You know he did it, we know he did it, the least you could do is tell Gramps that it was Cobra instead of that pathetic lie about tripping!"

Laxus sighed again, closing his eyes. He wanted to tell them. He also wanted to not only expose Cobra, but bash his head in. However, he can't. Who knows what Cobra could do to them in this world.

Just because he doesn't have magic, doesn't mean he isn't dangerous.

He opened his eyes again, slowly, before sighing again. "I can't." He muttered.

"What do you mean 'you can't'?" Evergreen questioned.

"That's all I can say."

"La-"

"Alright, youngsters, time to start class!" Makarov entered the classroom and class began.

________________

"Maste-" Freed coughed, covering up his mistake. "Mr. Dreyar." He stood in front of the teacher's desk, the class nearly empty due to the bell ringing minutes before. Evergreen and Bickslow waited in the hall and Laxus, as he now does, went straight to his next class.

"Yes, Freed." The old man answered, looking up at the green haired student with a smile. "What can I help you with?"

"Sir, it's about Laxus . . . and his recent injury."

Makarov's face turned serious immediately, dropping the smile. "What really happened?" He asked, practically demanding the truth.

"You mean, you didn't believe what he told you?"

"Of course not! I'm old, not stupid."

"Ah, as expected of you, sir."

"Now, what were you going to tell me?" Makarov leaned in as if Freed was about to tell him a juicy secret.

"Evergreen, Bickslow, and I know Laxus was actually assaulted and it was definetly no accident."

"I assume you have someone who you suspect of doing this."

"We know for a fact that it was Cobra, a delinquent from another class, sir! The only problem is that Laxus will not admit it."

"Hmm. ." The old man hummed, thinking. "It's not surprising. The two have been at each other's throats for years, and all because of a girl." He sighed, "I'll see what I can do, but you three need to talk some sense into Laxus."

"Will do, sir."

And with that, the conversation between Freed and Makarov was over. Now, the three friends had to encourage and lift the spirits of the unmotivated Laxus.

That evening, after school, the four young adults were in the living room. Laxus was flipping through T.V. channels with a bored expression on his face when Evergreen spoke up.

"Laxus, you can't give up!" She stated, standing up and putting her hands on her hips. "I'm tired of seeing you moping around. You need to go and see Jasmine."

"Ever-"

"Don't you tell me that you can't either! Remember the situation we're in. If you don't hurry and win Jasmine's heart, we'll be stuck in this curse forever and we'll never get back to Fairy Tail! The stuff in this world isn't real even though it seems like it. If you want to see the real Jasmine again anytime soon, you'll go and break this curse!"

Laxus was frozen in shock, surprised by what the sassy Evergreen said. It was like a slap in the face.

"Do you know where she lives, Laxus?" When Freed talked, it sounded distant and muffled to the blond as his mind wandered.

However, his body moved on its own.

Not thinking about anything else except Jasmine, Laxus ran out of his grandfather's house and down the street.

"Laxus!" Freed yelled from the doorway. The Thunder Legion had gotten up and were poking their heads out of the door.

"I'll be back later!" The blond shouted at them, not looking back and continuing to run.

His heart hammered in his chest and his legs burned, pleading with him to take a break, but him didn't. Breathing heavy as he tried to remember the way, he mauvered through street corners and buildings until he finally reached the familiar neighborhood.

His body finally having enough, Laxus struggled to reach the girl's house -- stumbling along the sideway.

He sighed in relief when he finally reached Jasmine's house.

KNOCK. KNOCK.

The front door opened and revealed a man who appeared to be in his late thirties. The man had that familiar black hair, though his was obviously much shorter than Jasmine's, and tanned skin. A muscular man like Laxus, he held an intense gaze with his sharp brown eyes and he had a frown on his face.

"E-Excuse me, sir," Laxus asked, out of breath. "but is Jasmine home?"

"You-" The man said, gazing at Laxus with a hard, yet natural glare. "I remember you. You were that boy that my daughter used to hang out with in middle school. Then she got a boyfriend and you became somewhat of a pest." He spat out the last sentence, becoming increasingly annoyed. "She's home. What do you want with her?"

"I-I just want to talk to her for a few minutes." Laxus stated, "That's all."

"Wait here." Jasmine's father instructed, closing the door momentarily while he went to find his daughter. When he came back minutes later, he swung the door open and had that same look on his face. "She doesn't want to see you. Go home!"

"Wait-" With that, the door slammed shut, making Laxus flinch. I'm not giving up. Laxus furrowed his eyebrows as he looked up at the house.

A lightbulb went off in his head and an idea formed. Hope filled his veins, though he knew he shouldn't get his hopes up, but he was determined to talk to Jasmine.

Tonight.