Chapter One: An Intense Game

"Iwa-chan!" Oikawa called to his ace, who was walking inside their school he and the setter had bussed to.

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon, and Oikawa wanted nothing to do with this place until Monday. But, being the 'best captain ever' and all, he decided to tag along with his friend.

Iwaizumi glanced back at his teammate with an annoyed look. "Yes?"

"Remind me why we're here, again?" The captain ran over and fell into step beside the shorter male.

"My cousin has a match today, and I haven't seen her play at all yet." Iwa explained shortly, pulling out his phone to check the time.

Oikawa blinked at him with a frown. "So why did you bring me along?" He asked, folding his arms.

"Because I knew you wouldn't do anything else this weekend." The ace shrugged.

"So you brought me along to watch a girls volleyball match?"

An irk mark appeared on Iwaizumi's head. "Yes, I did. Can you quit complaining, now? We're gonna be late."

"Sorry, sorry." The brown haired setter waved his hand airily, and Iwaizumi whacked the back of his head before jogging inside. Oikawa complained, but scrambled after him.

The gymnasium was surprisingly packed. Chatter echoed throughout the spacious gym, before cheers erupted when the two teams entered to warm up.

"Which one's your cousin, Iwa-chan?" Oikawa asked, stretching his neck to get a better look at the girls. One side was Aoba Johsai's trademark teal and white, while the other was blue and black. They looked tough.

"She's the captain of Aoba Johsai. Number one. She's an ace." Iwaizumi said nonchalantly, leaning back in his seat.

"She's WHAT?" Oikawa yelped, raising slightly out of his seat to get a better look. There was a small amount of resemblance between the two cousins. They both seemed to have this relaxed but strong stance, and he realized that they both would absentmindedly twirl a volleyball while speaking to a teammate. "Why didn't you tell me!?"

Iwaizumi shrugged. "I never felt the need to. She never asked me to introduce you two, either. You normally spoke to her vice captain about official things."

Oikawa let out a sigh, and sat back. "So rude, Iwa-chan. Never bothering to introduce your own flesh and blood to me." The setter sounded like a little kid, folding his arms with a huff.

"Shut up, Trashikawa!" Iwaizumi glared at him.

"Humph." Oikawa stuck his nose in the air, turning his head away from his frustrating teammate.

"Oh, look. The game's about to begin." Iwaizumi sat up straighter to watch the two captains shake hands.

Oikawa looked to see Iwa's cousin smiling at her opposing captain, who smiled back in amusement. They exchanged a few more words, before Iwa's cousin snickered and clapped the other captain on the shoulder before the two departed.

"Did she just actually make friends with the captain?" Oikawa asked, tilting his head in ultimate confusion. You don't exactly 'make friends' with the other teams captain. You're competitors. She seemed to just throw that unwritten rule to the wind, actually seeming to joke with her counterpart.

"Apparently." Iwaizumi blinked, scratching the back of his neck.

And then, the game was about to fully begin. Iwa's cousin exchanged a few words with her team, before they all nodded to each other, giving a small cheer and splitting up to the court and the sideline.

The game became intense very quickly. Iwa's cousin actually did a float serve, which the two both weren't expecting at all. It made the game really interesting really fast, and the crowd seemed to agree through their cheers.

At one point, she seemed to trip on her feet as she went to receive, but managed to receive the ball first before rolling to the side, earning more cheers, and a few whistles from her teammates in congratulations for avoiding injury or embarrassment.

"I didn't know they were this good!" Oikawa exclaimed over the noise.

"I think that's because we completely stomp them with our popularity. Especially with that serve of yours. And, I hate to admit it, your charm." Iwaizumi frowned, leaning forwards.

Her spike was what took the boy's breaths away, though. It happened in a snap. The ball was there, she was there, then they were gone again, getting a point each time.

"Iwa-chan! Iwa-chan!" He shook his friends shoulder, unable to resist the buzzing atmosphere.

Iwaizumi nodded with wide eyes, then the game continued. The entire team were monsters, not just their captain herself. They all seemed to have something in common, like the sturdy stance or the way they were eerily calm and light on their feet. Oikawa wasn't able to put his finger on it. "They're so... team like." He couldn't exactly explain, either, but Iwa seemed to get it.

"She told me that her team seems to listen to her more than they do the coach. At one point or another, she helps one of her team members individually." Iwaizumi explained. "Maybe they copy her in a way. Or she teaches them the most successful stance or whatever. I don't know."

Oikawa nodded. He was a little envious of the girls control, as his own team was a little chaotic. But he decided to meet her fully before assuming that she was the complete master of it all.

And just like that, the game was over, Aoba Johsai winning without any difficulty. The captains went to shake hands with grins, and an obvious promise was made from the opposing captain that they were going to win next time, which Iwa's cousin gave a competitive nod to. The teams themselves then shook hands, and exited the gym.

"C'mon." Iwaizumi stood up quickly. "We need to go congratulate her on that win."

This time, Oikawa followed after his ace without any complaints.