Chapter Sixteen: Good Luck

Today was the day.

(F/n) stood in the centre of her schools gymnasium, her bag clutched in one of her hands. She took in the early golden sunlight that filtered through the windows, watching the particles of dust wisp around like pixie dust.

Her jacket was tied to her waist. She wore a white t-shirt Tengan, Hana and Iha had made her as a present for her birthday that had a wolf spiking a ball over a volleyball net with the caption 'Worlds No.1 Ace!' on the back. She wore simple jeans and converse to wrap up her 'I didn't even try' look. She'd decided to get changed at the place where the Preliminaries were going to be held.

(F/n) was already tired as hell. She'd been up all night worrying about the games. She, nor her team, worried too much though. She'd just had an energy drink, and the adrenaline surge normally came to everyone when they entered the gym anyways.

She ran everything through her head one last time. Shoes, check. Uniform, check. Drink, check. Hair ties, check. She was good.

"Oi, (L/n)." Kazehaya's head poked into the gym. "We're almost ready to get going. Stop having an existential crisis and get your ass outside."

The captain turned around. "That's no way to speak to your senpai, missy." She crowed, jogging towards the first year girl.

"Whatever. You'll still get me ice cream, anyways." The young wing spiker pointed out, and the ace snorted, slinging her bag over her shoulder.

They walked to the front of the school, where two busses were parked. The coaches were chatting with each other, and the teams were mingling anxiously.

"Yay! Thanks, Kaze-chan!" Yada cheered at her captains and teammates appearance.

"Whatever." She shrugged, tugging on the black hoodie she had on. "Just don't call me that again."

(F/n) chuckled as she watched the first years spin off on a conversation about how bees were able to actually fly when she saw someone come walking up to her.

"(F/n)." Hajime greeted, and she scratched the back of her neck with a guilty laugh.

"Fellow ace. Can I be of any assistance to you on this fine morning?" She asked, and her cousin sighed.

"When's your game?" He asked, shoving his hands in his pockets.

The girl frowned at him. "I showed you the times yesterday. Matsun and I figured out that our game was an hour after yours. Which means we'll have time to watch your game."

"Okay, okay, but you told me when I was half asleep."

"And who's fault is that for being awake at that time and asking that question in the first place?"

As the two aces bickered, Matsun was passing Makki five bucks, as that study date Oikawa and her had yesterday was, basically, a date.

Oikawa was chatting with Tengan, to which Iha quickly hopped in on the conversation. It was a debate about how cupcakes were the legit best thing ever but Oikawa was insisting that milk bread was superior. It wasn't long until Iha and Tengan were yelling at him.

Arata was trying to figure out how bees could actually fly with math and gravity and the size of the bee with the first years, Hana quickly joining in and pulling out a calculator and a note book.

The second years were now the only ones talking about volleyball and the coming up games, reassuring each other and cracking puns, sending light hearted laughter to those who heard.

The coaches looked on with pride, seeing how much everyone had grown.

"Oi, (F/n)! Stop yelling at Iwaizumi!" Hana called to her, and the two shut up, but shot each other one last glare.

"Alright, everyone! It's time to go!" The girls coach called, and the kids began to break apart.

Hajime sighed, and pulled his cousin into a quick hug. "I'll see you when we get there."

"Alright. Keep warm. Don't start any fights. Keep Trash in line." She listed into his shoulder, and he nodded. The two aces separated, and boarded the busses, getting ready for the half hour, anxiety inducing drive to the Preliminaries.

-------------------------------------------------------

The girls got off of the bus in front of the boys side, which earned several odd looks from the other boys there. The male team of Aoba Johsai were waiting for them, which (F/n) found kind of nice.

"GUYS! GUYS, ARATA-SAN DISCOVERED SOMETHING AWESOME!" Yada announced, dragging the poor third year behind her. Arata managed to grab Hana and pull her along too. The first years immediately launched back into the bee conversation.

The second years drifted together, speaking about their anxiety for the game once more and insecurities. Advice was shared and taken into account. Seki was the one with the best advice, which she plagiarized from her captain herself. (F/n) didn't mind one bit.

Finally, they all walked into the building, boys eyeing the girls team mixed with the boys team as if they were wondering if it was worth it or not.

Oikawa was oddly silent during the time they walked down the halls. The female captain abandoned her conversation with Matsun, Makki and Tengan on whether Loch Ness was actually real, to fall into step beside the setter.

"You good?" (F/n) asked, lightly touching the tree's shoulder.

Oikawa stirred back into the land of the living, and looked down at her. "If you're cheering me on, of course."

"Dream on, Oikawa." The ace snorted.

The group stopped by the stairs that led up to the stands above the gym. Everyone hugged and shook hands, bidding farewell and promising a good game.

"Oikawa, lets have a small competition. Whoever does better owes the other team ice cream." The female captain suggested, holding out a hand.

Oikawa blinked, then smirked. "We won't lose."

"Neither will we."

"Game on."

The two laughed, and shook hands.

"Oh, and Tooru?" (F/n) caught his wrist before he began to turn away. He was caught off guard and pleasantly surprised at the use of his first name.

"Good luck." She gave him a determined nod, and turned to lead her team up to the stands to watch the boy's match.