Chapter Eleven: Be Kind

(F/n) stood in front of the gymnasium doors, her fingers digging into the palm of her hands as she clutched the strap of her bag.

The sound of volleyballs slamming on the floor and the harsh squeaking of shoes could be heard. She could define which shout belonged to which player, even though she'd barely met the male team.

Am I really about to do this...? Was the question she'd been asking herself for about five minutes now. Why was she nervous? Well, her team was in the shadows for a reason. The boy's were powerful, and smart. She wondered why she agreed to do this.

Am I really about to do this? She knew all too well that she was going to be forced to play. She didn't know what anyone was like here other than Hajime. She knew a little bit about Oikawa too, due to his famous serve. She only knew about her cousins talent because she would go to his games to cheer him on.

Should I do this? She didn't know how to play with this team. This was an entirely different group of people. Not to mention that it was all boys, and some would most likely try to flirt with her. She was more suited to playing with her own team.

She was going to die when she graduated and moved to a new team, abandoning her old one.

Her muscles still ached from the small practice she had with Seki. Her bruise was doing better, and she knew that if she stopped playing and let it rest that it would fade faster, but she was too proud to give in.

I can do this. She decided, sucking in a deep breath, relaxing and opening the doors, which created a loud clicking sound. The gymnasium went a little more quiet.

"Sorry I'm late." The female captain said briskly. "I got caught up with Tengan and Hana. Oikawa-san, you owe me. I'm missing a study date with my third year teammates." She set down her bag.

"Ah, sorry, (F/n)-chan!" Oikawa called, heading over to her. Most of the team seemed awfully confused. Makki slipped Matsun five yen. "I'm glad you could join us, though. Thank you!"

"Yeah, whatever." She muttered. She was already in uniform, because she didn't honestly feel like going to the change rooms at the moment. She pulled out her knee pads and slipped them on. "You still have that brace, I see." She observed, looking down at his white knee pad/brace, attempting to make a light conversation.

"Ah, yeah." He smiled sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck. "I busted it pretty bad."

"'Pretty bad' is an understatement." Iwaizumi muttered, twirling a volleyball in his hands. "I see that you're planning to play, then?" He addressed his cousin.

The female ace nodded, picking up a discarded volleyball next to her. "Yes. I knew you guys would ask me to play at some point, so why not just jump in head first?"

"You're one hell of a player." Makki grinned.

"Backatcha." (F/n) crowed. "You know, Karasuno's catching up. I won't be surprised if they beat you guys." She said out of the blue, joining the team in the court.

"Wait, you practiced with them?" Oikawa asked. "That's why Mr. Refreshing came to pick you up?"

A shadow fell over the team. A potential spy was standing right in front of them. A pretty one, at that.

"You mean Suga? Uh, yeah. I keep in touch with them a lot." The (e/c) eyed captain shrugged, twirling the volleyball in her hands. "Kageyama has a lot of potential. Hinata too, along with Yama-chan and Tsukishima."

Oikawa shuddered at his kouhai's name. "Idiot Kageyama. What makes him better than me?"

"His ability to shut his mouth and not insult his juniors." The girl lifted her chin, glaring at her counterpart. The entire team seemed to back away from her a little, even her own cousin. "Also, he isn't annoying. He's actually quite nice."

"I-I'm plenty nice!" Oikawa defended himself, placing a hand on his chest.

"Then prove it, Oikawa-san." She glared at him. "Be kind. No matter who it is. Wait until they give you the chance to hate them. Honestly, you wonder why he went to Karasuno instead of here." She shook her head.

Oikawa was unsure of what to do. He was just told off by another captain. The female one of his own school at that. He looked over at Iwaizumi, who shook his head, not wanting to help his captain and potentially get ignored by his cousin for a week.

She tended to do that when they disagreed on things.

And this was something they could both agree on. Arguing was pointless to the male ace.

"Alright, lets play against each other, than." Oikawa suggested. The team seemed to be taken off guard by this.

"You're on. You still owe me." The girl tossed up her ball, and ducked under the net to the other side of the court, waiting for Oikawa to sort out teams.

She grinned to herself.

She could already sense that everyone was underestimating her.

This was going to be fun.