Chapter Three: Morning Practice and Spikes with Ice

Monday was always pure chaos for (F/n), but this Monday was the worst. Her muscles were still a little cramped from the competition, and her bruise had finally shown its true colours–both literally and figuratively–and it hurt like hell.

She managed to make it to school before the bell, to which she heaved a large sigh of relief to. She'd run the entire way there, which didn't do any favours for her bruise or muscles whatsoever.

(F/n) smoothed her hair, and adjusted the strap of her bag on her shoulder, heading towards the doors of the school.

She passed the gymnasium, and was a little surprised to hear the squeaking of shoes. But then she remembered that the boys team had booked the gym this morning, probably due to Oikawa's begging.

The female captain decided to poke her head in, and saw just in time her cousin spike a ball his captain set to him. It nearly caused her to book it out of the gym due to the sound. Instead, she stepped inside. She needed ice for her bruise, and she figured that the coach would have some.

"What's (L/n)-chan doing here?" Yahaba asked.

Watari shrugged. "Beats me. Lets not disturb her, though. She's scary."

"(F/n). What're you doing here?" Iwaizumi called from behind the two, causing them to jump.

"Don't provoke her, man!"

"First name basis already...?"

"She's my cousin. Don't get the wrong idea." The ace snapped.

"SHE'S WHAT!?" The two boys yelped.

"(F/n)-chan!" Oikawa waved at the girl, and she looked over at the boys with a small frown. "What are you doing here?"

She shrugged. "Ice."

"What?" Iwaizumi frowned, walking over to her and folding his arms.

"Y'know when I tripped during that game but did a rolling receive to save myself and my teams pride?" She asked nonchalantly, and the rest of the boys team turned to look at her in surprise.

"I can't really forget it. It made you look like an idiot." The male ace said, and (F/n) kicked at his legs.

"That's not the point. I kicked myself, hard, which caused the trip in the first place. Now it hurts and its swelling and I think I might die if I don't put ice on it. Now get back to practice before I replace you." She cuffed his shoulder, and walked off to go speak to the coach.

"Yeah, right." Iwaizumi scoffed, picking up a ball Yahaba had tried rolling towards the female captain and tossing it for Oikawa to spike.

She didn't even look up when she heard the ball slam on the ground, thanking the coach for the ice and sitting down, pulling down her sock and strapping the ice onto her ankle. The female ace wasn't a fan of the girls uniform at the school, so she wore the boys. Not a lot of people seemed to have a problem with it.

(F/n) stood up and kicked her heel on the floor to see how it felt, and she let out a small sigh.

"(F/n)-chan! You should watch us practice for a little bit!" Oikawa called as the team began to split up to both sides, taking position.

"Well, I promised to meet Tengan and Iha–" She tried, but Iwaizumi threw a ball at her.

"Shut up! No you weren't!"

She received the ball instead of catching it. "Yes I was! Now look, I'll be late!"

"Yeah, right." The ace huffed unbelievably, and some of the team members laughed as he bumped the ball back to her. "Besides, I'd like to walk you to class to make sure you don't fall and break something."

"You're so considerate." (F/n) growled, catching the ball but went to sit next to the coach when he gestured for her to sit.

The coach chuckled. "To be honest, I think it's good you're here, because the boys will concentrate harder now that they have someone to impress. And not just any someone, but the captain of another volleyball team."

The ace folded her arms with a huff, leaning back. "I'm going to kill Hajime. I'm going to slip out while they're caught in the game, if you don't mind."

"That's fine. Just go easy on yourself."

"Ha! That's funny." She crowed.

She nearly fell back when Oikawa served. She'd seen his serve before, since her first year and second year teammates dragged her to nearly every one of his games, but it still surprised her every time.

She bit her tongue, almost nervously. He had full control, and her instincts seemed to tell her to run and never approach him again. To be honest, she didn't want to be near him in the first place. Even if they were both captains. His fangirls were creeps. She thought it was better before when he didn't even glance at her.

While she was deep in thought, she heard one of the team members shout her name. She saw the volleyball flying at her ten million miles per second, so, like any logical player would do, she shot up and spiked it. Hard.

It hit the floor harshly, before bouncing back towards the boys. She frowned at them. "Watch where you're hitting the damn thing!" She snapped.

"That spike was so cool!" Oikawa called.

"You literally saw her do it yesterday." She heard Iwaizumi mutter from beside his captain.

"How did she do that..?"

"She's the captain of the girls team, dingus."

"I didn't know she would be so–"

"(L/n)! There you are!" Tengan's head popped into the gymnasium. "Where have you been? Iha and I have been waiting for fifteen minutes already. You abandoned us, man."

"Sorry!" The ace quickly snatched up her bag and rushed over to her friend. "Hajime was being an ass and made me stay."

"I'm right over here!" Iwaizumi hissed, preparing to throw another ball at her.

"I'd be concerned if you weren't at your own practice, Iwaizumi-san." Tengan deadpanned. Iwa frowned at her, and the girl frowned back.

"(F/n)-chan! Stay and watch us for awhile!" Oikawa nearly begged.

"Dude, leave our ace alone man." Tengan huffed, pulling her captain out the door before she could snap back at him.