Chapter Twenty: Phone Call

Oikawa was lying in his bed, his face pressed into his pillow and trying to prevent himself from crying, which he was failing horribly at.

He was the captain of a powerhouse volleyball team, dammit. But here he was, completely shattered in his bed, clutching to his pillow for dear life because he lost a game.

A game.

The game.

The last game.

He was never going to make it to Nationals.

He sucked in a harsh breath, and lifted his head to look over at his phone, which buzzed. The screen seemed to light up the dark room like the moon did to the night sky. He opened it, and saw a message from Iwaizumi.

Iwa-chan!
(11:03 p.m) Look, I know that you're still broken up about our loss, so I'm giving you (F/n)'s number because she's better at comforting people than me. Don't stay up for too long. You become an asshole when you're tired.

Underneath his message was the female captains phone number. Oikawa openly sobbed, stuffing his face back into the pillow. Five minutes later, his phone began vibrating and ringing.

He sniffled, looking at who was calling. It was (F/n).

He hesitated for a minute, before holding his phone up to his ear and answering. "Yeah?" His voice cracked.

"Hajime said you were crying." The aces voice came through the phone. Oikawa could almost see her sitting up in her bed, tired, sore and disheveled from sleep and the game a few hours before.

"A-ah, well, Iwa-chan must be mistaken." Oikawa gave a charming smile, even though there was no one to smile to in his dark, empty room.

There was a small pause, before she said, "Oikawa, I can literally hear the tears running down your face right now."

She didn't say anything after that. Silence stretched out between the two. He could feel her patient aura coming through the phone, and that's when he finally broke down.

It was unfair.

It was unfair how all of his hard work had done nothing for his team. It was unfair how the captain of the girls team, whom he'd only met a few months ago, was going to the finals without him. It was unfair how people seemed to be more successful than him. It was unfair that those were his last games with his amazing team.

It was unfair how that could be the last time he would have a competitive bet with the pretty female ace.

"Oikawa." She sighed, and he could visualize her running a hand through her hair. "Tooru." She corrected herself. "Tooru, I had my uncle video tape your game for me. You guys did so well. I couldn't be more proud of you and the team."

The setter sniffled. He had to admit that he liked the sound of his name coming from her. "But... that was..."

"That wasn't your last game, Tooru." Her voice sounded a little more sturdy. "Sure, those were your last official games of high school. Is that going to stop you?"

His breath hitched, his eyes widening. Tears still ran down his face, but now he was almost completely silent. (F/n) took this as a sign to keep going.

"I don't think it'll stop you." She stated her opinion strongly. "You're just beginning. You're only eighteen. Just because you're walking out of the school doors and spreading your wings doesn't mean you can't ever land again, does it? Sure, you're going to fly out of arms reach, but does that mean you can't always find your way back?"

He stared at his wall, listening to the clock ticking on his wall and to the soft static of the phone. He rubbed his eyes with a fist, sitting up and letting out a small mumble to assure her that he was still listening.

"Tooru," She sucked in a deep breath. "Everything is going to be okay. You put so much into this. You'll look back to today and be like, 'wow, I did something amazing.'"

She let out a small hum. He could hear her shuffling around with her blankets, and he could hear floorboards softly creaking on her end.

"You're awe inspiring, Tooru." She said finally. "You've done all you could, and look at where you ended up. You're a very accomplished person, I hope you know."

"Y-yeah..." His voice cracked again, his face heating up from her endless compliments. "I-I know."

"Damn straight." The girl said firmly, earning a chuckle from him. More tears spilled down his face, but they were more content then upset, now. "And when you become the captain of our national team, Tooru, I'll be like 'I knew him. He did it.' That will be the day I'll be crying."

Oikawa purses his lips, and nodded. To be honest, he was hoping that they'd still be close friends after high school. He had a small feeling that they would be.

(So does Author-chan *cough cough wink wink it's not over yet*)

The two grew quiet after that. It wasn't an uncomfortable silence, but a welcome one. It gave Oikawa time to mull things over with a patient and friendly presence.

"Oikawa." She said after a few minutes. "Look out your window."

He obliged, and was surprised to see rain drops pattering down, outlined with moonlight which turned the falling water to silver.

It was raining.