Track Meet

His heart was beating fast as he knelt down and positioned himself on his blocks, prepared to work off this rush of adrenaline he was getting.

The cheers of the crowd became almost nonexistent in his head as he blocked everything out. He concentrated on his breathing and how to control it.

"Runners on your marks," the striped shirt official held up a starting gun while Ponyboy put his head down, signaling that he was ready. "Set," He raised the back of his body, prepared to push off. "Go!" He heard the gun fire a blank and he was off.

Starting out low, and gradually easing up was the trick to getting good speed. Of course, he wasn't the only one who knew this, he was dealing with all experienced runners.

Pony pumped his arms as fast as he could, knowing that if he kept his arms fast then his legs would match it.

He was ahead for the first eighty meters, the finish line was so close. The crashes of someone else's foot broke his concentration as they ran past the crowd. Someone was gaining on him, and fast.

But the yell of one certain person made Pony's heart speed up, giving him that extra boost he need to get just get a little faster.

"Come on Ponyboy!" Johnny yelled louder than he ever had before.

Johnny watched as his closest friend sped up and passed over the finish line, winning first place. He couldn't stop the proud cheer that escaped his mouth as he ran over to greet Ponyboy.

"Hey Pony!" He said excitedly, the only excitement he would ever show.

Pony looked up, red faced and breathing heavily, but broke out into a grin nonetheless. "Hey Johnny! I heard you cheering."

The tan skinned boys cheeks flushed and he rubbed the back of his neck. "I didn't break your concentration, did I?"

Ponyboy chuckled and stood up. "No, in fact it made me go fast and win." The starting gun fired off again, telling them that another race had started. "You wanna go home?" He asked and checked his phone for any nagging messages from Darry, but there were none.

"Don't you have to get your medals?"

"Nah, it's a tri-meet. Just practice for county tomorrow."

Johnny smiled lightly. "How bout we go to that frozen yogurt place down the street? We can celebrate your win."

Ponyboy grinned and began walking, picking up his drawstring bag and grabbing his wallet. "That sounds great, Johnny."

His friend laughed and walked beside him, but pushed his wallet back into his bag. "I'm buying."

"I can't let you do that!" Pony was shocked that someone, even if it was his best friend, was willing to be so nice to him.

Johnny smiled and grabbed his hand, taking off towards the store. "Watch me!" He yelled teasingly.

Pony chuckled at his friend's actions, and ran along side him, a blush tinting his cheeks as Johnny held his hand.

It wasn't the closest contact they'd ever had, nowhere near. Pony reacted this way whenever Johnny was close to him. He wanted to kiss his best friend so bad it hurt.

How many nights he stayed awake, dying for the raven haired boy to be at his side. But there was no way in hell that Johnny could ever like him back.

Johnny was cute, sweet, and charming. Three of the best characteristics a person could have wrapped up into one small boy who got beat by his parents.

So many girls at school crushed on Johnny, so what chance did he have?

"You can have as much as you like." Johnny announced proudly as they entered the store.

Pony smiled, looking at how excited his best friend was. "God I love you." He breathed out.

Johnny looked at him. "W-what?"

Pony panicked, not meaning to say it out loud. "Uh, I-I said...thank you." He thought it was a good enough save anyway.

His friend looked disappointed, but only for a second. In no time a smile was back on his lips. "It's really no problem. I like spending money on you."

Pony blushed some and grabbed a bowl. They walked over to the soft serve station, and began filling up their bowls.

Johnny got vanilla, which was fitting for him in Pony's mind since he always seemed to smell like vanilla. Pony happened to like butter pecan the best, and filled his to the top.

He walked over to Johnny who was getting a bunch of toppings, and began adding his own.

"Thank you Johnny, this is really nice." Pony said as they set their bowls on the scale.

"That'll be $8.94." The cashier said, but Johnny was already handing over a ten dollar bill.

"You're welcome."

They grabbed their bowls and decided to walk to the park, as it was a nice evening and the air was cooling down.

"Are you coming to my county meet tomorrow?" Pony asked nervously.

Johnny grinned and nodded. "I wouldn't miss it for the world!"

A smile tugged at the corner of Pony's lips as they sat down on a nearby bench.

They sat silently, watching the sky and eating their frozen yogurt. Well, Pony was watching the sky anyway. Johnny was giving his best friend a loving stare, wishing with everything under the sun that he would stare back.

He quickly averted his eyes when Pony noticed him looking over.

Pony was a little curious as to why Johnny was looking at him, but ended up dismissing it as nothing.

He began feelings sleepy once he finished his frozen yogurt, and leaned his head on Johnny's.

Johnny's cheeks went pink as soon as Pony laid his head down. He turned his head a bit, and began stroking Pony's hair.

Ponyboy sighed and leaned into the touch, loving every second of it.

Johnny decided that if there were a time to make a move, it would be now. He carefully tilted Pony's head up and stared into his eyes.

Slowly, he leaned down and pressed his lips against Pony's, and it felt amazing. Since Pony didn't pull away or freak out, he took his time with the kiss, loving every second of it.

When they finally broke away Johnny smiled some and looked at the sky again.

Pony was bewildered as to why Johnny had just kissed him, but he wasn't gonna ruin the moment. So he just lazily laid his head on Johnny's shoulder again, smiling like crazy.

Johnny was a bit scared at Pony's silence. He sighed. "Ponyboy?"

Pony's face turned white. Was the kiss just a mistake? "Y-yes?"

"Did you...like the kiss?"

He wasn't sure what to say. Would yes be a good thing, or a bad thing? He decided to risk a no. "Y-yeah, I did."

Johnny grinned and looked down at the fourteen year old. "Do you think you would like being my boyfriend?"

Pony's eyes widened and he looked up at Johnny. "I think I would like that a lot."

Made this one up on my own that's why it's long.

Word count: 1178