Curly Hair

Happy birthday -TheFandomLife-  I hope you like this!

Johnny and I sat in the movie theater together. While Johnny was paying attention to the movie, I was paying attention to him. I liked looking over and seeing his reactions to the parts I thought were funny, or the ones that I thought were sad.

  However, there was one reaction that came from him that I wasn't expecting. At one point a side character came on the screen and Johnny let out a long, pensive sigh.

  I looked over at him and he had a happy smile on his face. "What?" I asked.

  "Don't you think that's a good looking fella?" His eyes didn't leave the screen.

  I studied the character again before shaking my head. "I guess so..."

  "I think he looks tuff. Look at his hair." He smiled again and managed to relook at me.

  I pursed my lips. "You like curly hair?"

  "I do," he nodded. "I love it. Looks like it would be soft and stuff." He turned his attention back to the movie.

  I huffed and crossed my arms, sinking into my chair. I thought about my own hair, and suddenly hated it. I always thought I had some of the tuffest hair in town. I guess that's what nearly everybody thought, but if Johnny didn't think so, then nobody else's opinion mattered.

---

I tried to keep my head down as I entered the aisle. I wasn't supposed to be in here, I was a boy. Guys shouldn't be in the beauty aisle. If anyone caught me I'd never hear the end of it.

My eyes scanned the shelves until they landed on something that said 'Hair Curlers'. I bit my lip and debated it in my mind for a few minutes.

Maybe this would make Johnny like me more. That thought made me smile, so I decided that this would be worth it. I made my way to the cash register, and ignored the strange look I got from the cashier.

I raced home, eager to get them in my hair.

The directions said the roll the curlers in damp hair, so I took a quick shower. I stared at the roller in my hand for a little bit, unsure of what to do. After a few tries, I managed to get it in my hair.

  I probably would have gotten it in quicker if I read the directions, but like a true man, I was stubborn. I decided to put the rest in my hair in my bedroom in case anybody had to pee they wouldn't walk in and see me.

So there I stood, in front of mirror, putting hair rollers in, all to impress a boy who would probably never go for me. Stupid straight hair. Why couldn't I be born perfect? Maybe then Johnny would notice me, in that way.

  I sighed as I finished putting in the last roller. I looked like an eighty year old woman because of this...

  The instructions said to leave them in until my hair dried, so I figured I'd have to be in my room for at least a half hour. I looked through my bookshelves for something good to read, but I wasn't feeling anything. The book I really wanted to read was downstairs in the living room.

  If I could manage to run down fast enough, I can grab it without anybody seeing me, as the only people home were Darry and Sodapop. I took a deep breath and opened up my door, and there stood Johnny.

  He glanced at my curlers in confusion for a second. "Um...Pony?"

I was literally at a loss for words. I had no idea what to say, so I didn't say anything. Instead, for some stupid reason, I began crying.

"Pony what's wrong?" Johnny stepped inside my room and shut the door.

"You...curly hair...straight hair...impress you!" Were the only words I managed to sob out.

Thankfully, Johnny knows me, and he understood what I was saying. "You were trying to impress me?" I whimpered and nodded, trying to calm down. "Pony why on Earth would you change something about yourself to impress me?"

"B-because I like y-you, a-and you said y-you liked curly ha-ir!" I cried.

  "Awe Pony, don't cry...I like you too."

  I sniffed and wiped my eyes. "Y-you do?"

  He nodded. "Mhm, I do. I never said curly hair was my favorite you know...my absolute favorite is light brown, almost red that's long and straight." He giggled and took my hand. "That's sweet that you were trying to impress me, but you never have to change anything about yourself for anyone. You're beautiful." He cupped my cheek and smiled fondly at me. "You really like me?"

I nodded shyly, and he leaned in and kissed me. When we broke apart I was grinning like crazy. He wiped away the last few remnants of my tears and smiled. "You wanna take these curlers out now?"

  I nodded and reached up, taking them out. He helped me do it, and when we were done, my hair was slightly curled, and sticking up everywhere.

  Johnny giggled and kissed me again. "I guess it is kinda cute, but it's not you. I love everything about you...please don't change."