Safe and Sound

What if the fire killed Johnny and Pony?

I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go

  Pony and Johnny were being rushed to the hospital in the same ambulance. A large piece of timber had fallen on top of Johnny.

  Pony had been hit by part of the roof while trying to save Johnny, and it was up to Dally to save them both.

  Pony was in hysterics. He was crying in spite of himself.

  "Johnny I'm so scared." He gasped out.

  Johnny grit his teeth and reached out one of his hands, now blackened by his burns, and gripped into to Pony's equally burnt hand.

"I know...me...too...but I'll-" he gasped loudly as a shot of pain went through his body. "I'll never let you go..." he mumbled and passed out, still holding onto pony's hand.

When all those shadows almost killed your light

Both boys shared a hospital room, which suited them just fine. They didn't want to be alone.

"I really thought you were gonna die." Johnny mumbled and looked over to his sleeping friend.

"You tried as hard as you could to didn't you?" Tears filled his eyes.

Pony wasn't gonna make it. He wasn't gonna make it. It didn't matter how many times the gang reassured them they would, they wouldn't.

I remember you said
Don't leave me here alone

"You know what Johnny?" Pony tried to grin.

"What is it?"

"We're gonna die together." He announced tiredly. "Okay? I don't wanna die alone..."

  Johnny nodded and coughed. "O-okay pony...together, I promise."

But all that's dead and gone and passed
Tonight...

  "I thought they were getting better Darry..." Sodapop cried into his older brothers shoulder.

  They had been visiting the two boys, and when Johnny found out his mother had shown up he got worked up so much that he passed out.

  When Johnny passed out Pony got so scared that he blacked out himself.

  "This is all my fault." Darry mumbled. "We're gonna lose him, like we lost mom and dad, and it's all my fault."

  Soda bit his lip and shook his head. "No Darry...it's not. I promise you it's not."

Just close your eyes
The sun is going down

"J-Johnny?" Pony woke up and that was they first thing out of his mouth.

"I'm here my love..." Johnny gasped out. "B-but I'm hurting. I'm hurting really bad."

  "Close your eyes darling..." the small fourteen year old sighed. "Tomorrow's a new day. Just go to sleep and you'll escape the pain..."

  Johnny nodded and did as he was told. "I...I wish that...I told you how much I loved you earlier. I never even...I never even got to kiss you."

  "Don't add guilt to your conscience. I know you love me." Pony laughed lightly, which soon turned into coughs.

You'll be alright
No one can hurt you now

  The two boys slept for a while. Lost in their dreams; dreams of each other. Pony dreamt about Johnny never having to go back to that awful house of his ever again, and the socs would leave him alone indefinitely.

  Johnny dreamed that Pony would never get into any more fights with his brothers, and that they could all just be happy.

  They only dreamt for the other persons happiness.

  When they awoke, they said nothing. Only stared at each other, as they grew tired again, despite having just woken up.

Come morning light
You and I'll be safe and sound

  "You think we'll live to s-see tomorrow?" Pony asked his brothers who were visiting them.

  Soda wiped his eyes and Darry just looked down. "You don't seem like your in as much pain anymore..."

  "Well we can't feel any part of our body..." Johnny had no tears left to cry. Him and Ponyboy had already accepted their deaths. They were ready to die together.

  "I think we'll be gone by tomorrow." Pony told Johnny once his brothers left. "I keep getting more and more tired..."

  Johnny just grunted for an answer, as he didn't have the energy to talk anymore.

Safe...and...Sound...

  Johnny could hardly talk. He could hardly move. His time was nearing an end and he knew it. He was just glad that the gang had come to see them one last time.

  "Darry?" Pony's quiet, weak voice rang out.

  Immediately, Darry was at his little brothers side. "What is it little buddy?"

  "Can you...pick me up and put me in Johnny's bed? I-I want to die with him." Pony almost smiled. If he had to die, he wanted to be with the one he loved most.

  "Y-yeah. Sure thing." Slowly, Darry moved along over. It was hard, since almost every movement hurt the poor child, but eventually the two boys were in the same bed, laying as close as they could be to each other.

  "By Johnny...I love you." Pony smiled, used the last of his strength to kiss Johnny's head, and then died.

  He passed right then and there, with his lips still against Johnny's temple.

  "I love you more..." Johnny said quietly, before dying as well, right in front of the gangs eyes.