Baby Goodbye

Mpreg oneshot. Don't get too excited, this is sad.

"No..." Ponyboy whispered. "Please no."

"I'm so sorry," the doctor looked into Pony's eyes sympathetically. "It's a miscarriage."

Miscarriage. One word an expectant parent should never have to hear. Pony swallowed hard, trying to hold back tears. "Are you...are you s-sure?" His voice cracked at the end.

The doctor nodded. "I'm afraid so. I am so, so sorry for you and your husband."

"I think I should be leaving now." The boy whispered and stood up.

His stomach hadn't begun to even grow at all yet, but him and Johnny had been so excited. They had been wanting to start a family for months, and could not wait for their baby to be born.

As soon as Pony had got into the car he let out all of his emotions. He cried harder than he had ever cried before. "Why?" He yelled out painfully.

He looked down and rubbed his stomach. He's never get to feel his baby kick. His surgery to remove the fetus would be just next week. After crying for a few more minutes, he finally drove home.

How on Earth was he supposed to break the news to Johnny. He had been even more excited than Pony had been. He talked about names, what clothes to buy, and even wanted to start on his child's nursery.

But none of that would ever happen now. Ponyboy wiped his eyes and let out a shaky breath while walking into his apartment. Johnny would be home from his second job, a job he had taken on just for their new child, in less than fifteen minutes.

Pony walked into the room that would have been used for a nursery and stood there looking at all the unbuilt furniture they had bought. He didn't know if him and Johnny would even want to try to have another baby.

Just a few minutes later he heard the door open and close, signaling that his husband was home. "Pony I'm home! How did the doctors appointment go?" He called out excitedly, walking around the house to try and find his lover.

When he found Pony in the nursery, he grinned and wrapped his arms around him. "Hey..."

Pony took a deep breath and turned to face Johnny. That's when Johnny saw his red face and tear stained cheeks. "Baby...what's wrong? Is everything okay?" He asked quickly, praying it was just pony's nerves and hormones, and not what he was thinking.

"Johnnycakes, I...we...we lost the baby. I had a miscarriage. I-I'm sorry...I'm..." pony started crying again while Johnny just stared, trying to wrap his head around the situation.

"A miscarriage..." he whispered, finally realizing that he had heard Pony correctly.

"I'm sorry!" Pony wailed, falling into Johnny's arms.

Tears stung at Johnny's eyes, but he begged himself to not cry, as not to upset pony any further. "It's okay honey...I-it's not your fault. You know that right?"

Pony nodded slowly. "Y-yeah, I just. We were finally gonna start a family Johnny. We were gonna be parents."

Both boys slid down the wall and hugged each other. "It'll be okay Pony."

"What if I can never have kids? What if they all end up being miscarriages?" Ponyboy began crying harder.

"W-we can't be sure, but we can try. We'll try again pony. Not for a while, but eventually. Eventually..." Johnny buried his face in the crook of pony's neck. "We'll be okay."

And they were. Years later they had two kids, that were perfectly healthy. Two boys, Andi and Jack. Ponyboy and Johnny loved them more than anything else in the world.

Every now and then Pony wondered what life would be like with their first baby. The baby would never leave their hearts.

Even though it was never born, it was never forgotten.