Babycakes

"Why do you still call me that?" Johnny Cade huffed at his best friend Ponyboy.

"What's wrong with it?" Pony sat down beside him and smiled lightly.

"It's embarrassing." The older grease pouted and crossed his tan arms. "No one calls me that anymore, other than you."

"I like calling you babycakes. It was your nickname for a really long time you know..." Pony sighed and leaned his head back.

"Y-you can call me Johnnycakes if you want."

Pony shook his head. "Everyone used to call you babycakes, what's wrong with it now?" He said, ignoring Johnny's previous statement.

The sixteen year old sighed. "They called me that when I was little." He frowned. "Now it makes me seem soft."

Ponyboy playfully rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Why do you like calling me that so much?" Johnny questioned, genuinely curious.

The smaller boy looked at Johnny, panic present in his eyes. But as quickly as the look came, it was gone. He quickly averted his eyes. "I-I just like it that's all." He sighed before mumbling under his breath: "Let's me pretend..."

Johnny's breath hitched. "P-pretend what?" He had started feeling bad about getting frustrated with the boy. But in his defense, he thought Pony always called him babycakes to tease him. Apparently, there was a deeper meaning. "Pretend what, Ponyboy?"

Pony looked up, eyes wide with fear. "I...I can't tell you."

"Why not?" Johnny snapped, but immediately regretted it when he saw the pale boy wince. He never snapped like that-unless of course he was extremely pissed off. But right now he wasn't even mad. Confused, sure. But not mad. Poor Pony thought that Johnny was angry with him.

"Hey..." Johnny gingerly touched Pony's shoulder. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it."

Pony nodded, but he was still shaking considerably.

"I'm serious," The tan skinned boy began to worry that he had actually frightened Pony. "I'm not mad at all. I-I would just like to know what you meant."

Pony looked up with tears in his eyes. "I...I meant that..." He sighed and gripped his hair frustratingly. "I can't tell you...You would hate me."

Johnny furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "No I wouldn't! I could never..." he mumbled the last part.

Ponyboy looked at him nervously and sighed. "Baby is a pet name that couples call each other." He whispered.

The other boys eyes widened. He had some idea of what Pony meant, but he couldn't be sure. "Pony...are you saying that-"

"Yes!" Pony interrupted, sounding miserable. "I wish we were together. I know it'll never happen, but I like imagining it."

Johnny stayed silent, not quite believing what he heard. He had liked Ponyboy for the longest time, but never in a million years did he think Pony would reciprocate his feelings.

Ponyboy sighed and stood up. "I-I'm sorry, I know you must be disgusted. J-just please don't tell my brothers."

Johnny quickly grabbed Pony's hand and pulled him back down. "I'm not disgusted." He said quietly. "I'm actually thrilled."

Before Pony had a chance to respond or even comprehend what he had said, Johnny had grabbed his collar and smashed their lips together.

"I love you Pony...I always have." Johnny whispered.

Ponyboy grinned. "R-really?"

"Yeah, I just never thought you'd like me back."

"Well I do...I really do." Pony laughed and pressed a kiss to Johnny's cheek."

"I love you Pony." Johnny smiled lovingly.

"I love you too babycakes."

Johnny sighed, but he decided he'd get used to it.

Word count: 597

Scenario: Johnny used to be called babycakes until he got older, when it was switched to Johnnycakes.