The truth

Ponyboy's P.o.V (age 9)

This morning when I woke up I was alone. Soda was probably out with Steve, and Darry was out at football practice. Mom and Dad had to work, and it being summer, that meant that I had to be alone.

Maybe one of my friends would show up soon.

But no one really wants to hang out with me. I'm the kid. The only one who kind of tolerates me is Johnny, and he doesn't come around much.

I don't think that he really likes me. He might think I'm just an annoying little kid and I bother him too much. But he always insists that I don't.

But Soda always says that Steve likes me, and I know he don't. He's told me lots of times.

But I got dressed and walked over to Johnny's house anyways because I was bored and didn't want to be alone.

I thought about playing ball with him, but I thought he was too clumsy. He always had bruises and scrapes everywhere from falling and stuff. That's what he tells me anyways.

I thought that he was just the most accident prone kid out there.

I knew something was wrong when I got to his house. I heard lots and lots of screaming coming from inside, and what sounded to be Johnny screaming.

I gasped and ran up to the fence, trying to save him, but by the time I got there he was being pushed out of his house by his dad.

He laid on the ground for a few minutes, rubbing his shoulder and sniffing.

I stared at him in shock and almost started crying, but I knew I needed to be tuff like Sodapop. I gulped and finally started moving. "J-Johnny?"

I think he flinched and started breathing heavily. "Ponyboy...what are you doing here?"

I didn't even listen to him. "Did your daddy do that to you?" I asked and sat down next to him, gesturing to his bleeding face.

He slowly nodded his head yes. "H-he did...he always does."

Everything fell into place. Why he always had bruises, why he always winced whenever we brought up his family, why I sometimes found him sleeping in the vacant lot...

I didn't know what to say, so I just stood up and reached out a hand. "Come on...we can go to my house."

He wiped his eyes and took my hand. I pulled him up and we walked back. I didn't let go of his hand for some reason. I think he needed a hand to hold though, because he kept squeezing mine.

When we got to my house we both sat on the couch. He stared at me for a few seconds. "You ain't gonna tell anyone, right?" He asked wide eyed.

I shook my head. "Not if you don't want me to."

"Well I don't. If your parents find out I'll be taken away. I don't wanna leave you guys." He crossed his arms and it looked like he was about to cry.

"I don't want you to leave. You're my best friend, I won't say nothing." I grinned.

He wiped away at some of the blood falling from his face. "I'm your best friend?"

"Yep! You're the only one who likes me." I said while giggling.

"W-well, you're mine too Ponyboy." He smiled at me.

"You wanna be best friends with a kid?" I couldn't believe it! No one had ever really wanted to be my friend before.

"You ain't a kid Pony. You're tuff." He ruffled my hair.

I smiled widely. Johnny is a cool ol guy. I felt bad that his dad hit him. "Are you gonna go back home?"

"Nah, I'll sleep in the lot tonight." He said it like it should be normal, but it shouldn't be.

"No, you can sleep over here. I don't want you to sleep outside ever again." I decided.

He got really happy when I said that and hugged me. "Thank you..."

I'm glad Johnny's my best friend.

Bye for now
Ponyboy Curtis

-
Pony's P.o.V. (Age 14)

I closed my old journal and smiled. Johnny and I had always been close, and it was cool seeing my feelings for him when I was just a kid.

I looked behind me and smiled at his sleeping body on my bed. He never did end up sleeping in the lot again. He either slept at his house, on our couch, or he sneaked into my room and we'd talk for hours until the sun came up, and then we'd fall asleep together.

I walked over and kissed his forehead, which caused his eyes to flutter open. He stretched and yawned, before pulling me down to cuddle with him. "Why'd you wake me up?"

"To tell you how much I love you." I chuckled and wrapped my arms around his waist.

He grinned and kissed my lips. "I love you too babydoll. Can I sleep now?"

I nodded and snuggled up into his chest. "Yeah...I love you so much Johnny. I always have."

"Hmm..." he smiled and pulled me closer somehow. "Always?"

"Yeah...even before we were best friends, I always loved you more than anyone I knew."

"Me too Pony, I've been in love with you for like...forever." He giggled. I loved his giggle.

"Forever..." I sighed happily as we fell asleep.