Coffee?

Pony's P.o.V.

When I saw the boy climb over the edge of the bridge, I knew I had to do something. There was no way I was going to let someone commit suicide.

I walked across as fast as I could, without drawing any attention to myself, as not to scare him.

Quietly, I walked to the edge and stood beside him. "Hey..." I said casually.

He blinked and began breathing heavily. "You can't talk me out of this."

"I didn't say I was gonna try to. I just wanted to warn you that it's a pretty long fall..." I was trying to remain cool and collected.

He looked down and seemed to grip onto the bridge tighter. "Yeah, I know..."

"It would hurt if someone were to jump. I don't think it would kill them though. Just hurt them." I said shrugging while leaning against the edge.

"Y-you don't think a fall from this height would kill someone?" He asked, looking down.

I shook my head. "Nah, whoever jumped would just lay on the ground in pain and suffer...and then die."

The boy shrugged and continued looking down.

"What's your name?" My heart was racing. I didn't want him to jump.

He finally tore his eyes away from the sight in front of him and looked at me. "J-Johnny."

"Like Johnny Cash?" I asked, smiling lightly.

He shook his head quickly. "No way! Johnny Cash is terrible!"

I giggled and nodded. "I agree. Elvis is more my style."

"I love Elvis." Johnny said quietly. "He's tuff."

"Shoot yeah he is." I nodded. "I love going to the old coffee shop and listening to his music on the juke box. It's like I'm in an alternate reality."

He turned around slowly so that he was facing me. "A coffee shop?"

I nodded quickly. "Best coffee in the world! Warms you from the inside out."

"It is chilly out here..." he blushed lightly.

"Yeah, it is. I sure could go for a coffee right now, what about you?" I held out my hand, silently begging for him to take it.

He stared. "Y-you said it feels like an alternate reality? Like a whole new world?"

"Yes...it feels like you're in the middle of the Earth."

He took one more look behind him; at the long, long fall, before taking my hand and climbing over. "I could use another world right now."

I didn't let go of his hand as we walked. Partially because I was scared that he'd run off, and partially because I liked the way his hand felt in mine.

"Then you're in for a treat. You gotta try the muffins there! They are so good!" I grinned at him and he let a ghost of a smile appear on his lips.

"You know, you ever told me your name." He said quietly.

"I guess you didn't..." I looked at him and smiled. "It's Ponyboy. Ponyboy Curtis."

"I like that name...I like it a lot." Johnny squeezed my hand, causing me to blush.

"It's different, that's for sure." Around that time we neared the old coffeehouse and walked in.

Johnny took a deep breath and his eyes went wide. "It smells so good in here..."

"It does, doesn't it?" We walked over to the line.

"Where are we sitting?" He asked.

I shrugged and looked around. "Oh, anywhere is fine. You can pick."

He nodded and turned to walk away, but I grabbed his wrist, that was slightly bumpy. I winced slightly, feeling the scars, but acted like nothing was wrong. "What do you want?"

"Oh I don't have any money. I'm okay with just sitting in here. It's so warm..." he seemed to get lost in thought for a second.

"I'm paying for you Johnny," I gave a half smile and giggled. "Why don't you go get us a seat and I'll order us both soemthing?"

He bit his lip, but nodded. "Okay."

I stood in line for a little longer and ordered two mocha frappes and two muffins. Johnny had chosen a table in the back corner. I smiled and walked over, setting down his food and drink in front of him.

"Thank you..." he said quietly and quickly began eating.

I watched him, sadly. He seemed like such a nice kid. What would cause him to want to commit suicide?

In no time at all he had finished his muffin and began sipping on his coffee. "Thank you so much. This is really good."

"Want me to go put on some Elvis over at the jukebox?"

He nodded, almost smiling. I grinned and stood up.

After flipping through the songs, I finally I decided on 'Can't Help Falling in Love". Before I went back to Johnny, I bought him a couple more muffins. He seemed so hungry.

He seemed surprised when I gave them to him, but he thanked me and began eating anyway.

After he finished them up, he leaned his head back and breathed in, seeming to take in the smells and the music.

"Do you like it here?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah...it's so much better than anywhere else I've ever been."

"Do you want any more food?" I offered him my muffin.

"Oh, no. I couldn't. You've already done so much for me." He shook his head.

I sighed and set it in front of him anyways. "It seems like you haven't eaten in a while. You have it."

He teared up a bit. "I-It's been...a few days..."

I frowned and felt like crying myself. So after two more muffins and a bowl of soup, he was finally full. He laid his head on the table, closing his eyes.

"All this food is making me sleepy." He mumbled.

I began to panic. I didn't want to leave him alone. "Why don't you come to my house? You can sleep over."

He sat up and smiled at me. "I would like that..."

We stood up and began walking out of the coffee shop. "Good. I'd like that too..."

There is gonna be a part two to this coming next. I based those muffins on ones I had in Dominican Republic and they were so good. I can almost taste them

Edit: this is now a book called Save Me