Chapter 7

"I find it quite remarkable, having once been a timid freshman at Central City University, to be standing before you now, the regents choice for man of the year. While I very much appreciate the award, the real honor for me is knowing that my work in organ transference helps give people a second chance at life. Thank you all very much for coming."

Jackie lazily clapped for the man, she knew who he was because of her father, and her dad never had kind things to say about him when he was brought up. Her dad had asked if she would take his place since he didn't want to go, so she was forced into a dress. She wasn't a huge fan of the girly outfits, so she wore her black converse instead of the heels that Caitlin suggested.

Simon Stagg paused when he saw the young Wells standing as everyone else conversed instead, "If it isn't little Jacqueline Wells."

"I prefer Jackie, Mister Stagg." Her posture changed, her back straightening as she spoke.

Simon gave her a forced smile, "Jackie, where is your father?"

"He couldn't make it, so he had me come congratulate you instead. Your work on organ transference is amazing."

"Yes, it quite is." Stagg boasted, "I had no clue you would know anything about this since you never entered this line of study correct?"

Jackie pursed her lips, wanting to lash at him, but she didn't, "No, I was never a huge fan of this kind of thing. Do you have anything to say about your research?" She badly wanted to get out of the topic of her, and redirect it to him, since he knew he was an arrogant prick. "There was this whole debate about cellular memory."

"Right, would you like a better clarification on the matter?" Jackie simply nodded her head, not actually caring, only wanting to conversation to move forward, and possibly get him off the subject of her and her father, "Cellular memory is an additional hypothesis that memories can be stored outside the brain. However, unlike body memory, the cellular memory hypothesis states that these memories are stored in all the cells of human bodies, not in the bodies' organs."

Jackie nodded her head, actually already knowing this, "That's amazing." Her eyes drift to the side and catch sight of Barry, their eyes meet, making his go wide, his sentence stopping. He was speaking with Iris but had lost his train of thought when he saw that Jackie was also there.

"Well, I think I'll take my leave. Tell your father he should visit for once, I'll make sure there are ramps."

Jackie gave him a glare, as he walked off. She moved over when Iris spoke to Stagg, "Mr. Stagg, I was wondering if I could get a quote from you for my article."

"Not now miss."

Jackie smiles at her, "I can muster you up one, he just spoke about cellular memory if me if you'd like something about that."

Iris looks thankfully over at Jackie, "Thank you, uh, you're a friend of Barry's right? I don't think we were properly introduced the last time, it was kind of hectic."

"Yeah." Jackie glanced at Barry, "I'm Jackie Wells."

Iris shook her hand, "Iris West." Barry shifted on his feet, looking back and forth between the two, "Barry, why aren't you saying anything?"

"Well-"

Gunshots rang in the building, making people scream, Jackie turned her head to see a group of men with their guns pointed at them. Iris's mouth dropped open, "Oh my God." She got down to the floor. Barry looked at Jackie, who made no move, so he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and moved her close to the ground for her protection.

"Quiet! How considerate! You're all wearing your finest jewelry! Almost like you knew we were coming to rob you! Now everybody line up!"

Barry helped Jackie get up, while she held onto Iris' hand. Jackie glanced at Iris, who looked absolutely terrified, but also pissed at the men. Barry went to walk forward, but Iris grabbed him, "Don't."