Chapter 18

Emily sat beside Jackie's bedside, leaning her head against the frame. Caitlin walked in, "Emily, you can't stay in here forever."

"She hasn't woken up yet." Emily mumbles, pulling herself up straight, "Why hasn't she woken up yet?"

"I don't know, Emily." Caitlin says softly, "Come on, the results from Miss Bette came through."

Emily sighs getting up from her spot the group just kind of stood there, waiting for Barry to finally show up, once he did, he paused at all their faces, "Hey, what's wrong? Did Eiling find out you're here?"

"No." Sans mumbles, "Caitlin was about to give me the not-so-good news."

"The shrapnel in your body has merged with you on a cellular level."

Dr. Wells leaned forward in his chair, "And the technology required to unsplice your DNA... it hasn't been invented yet." Sans looked to the floor, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"Bette..."

"It's okay. Roger that. I-I just need a minute. Don't worry. Pretty sure I can cry without blowing stuff up." Sans storms out of the room, Barry went to follow but chose not to.

"What now?" Emily asks.

"She joins us." Barry states, "Becomes a part of the team."

"Barry... You, Jackie, and Emily have an amazing ability to help people. She makes things explode." Caitlin says slowly, fiddling with her hands.

Barry stared incredulously at them, "She's the first meta-human other than Emily and Jackie not hell-bent on destroying this city."

"It's too dangerous."

"Well, she's not going in the pipeline." Emily finally spoke up, she did agree with Barry on this.

"I'm not suggesting she go in the pipeline, but were she to remain at S.T.A.R. Labs, it would put all of us at risk."

"From who?" Emily asks, "Eiling?"

"Eiling is a dangerous man, Barry. We do not want him as an enemy."

Barry tensed his jaw, "After the lighting bolt, what if you hadn't found me? It could've been me. Hunted, on the run, cut off from everyone I know and care about. You guys saved me."

"And I want to save her just as bad as you do, Barry. We all do."

"It doesn't seem that way." Emily says, "If our meta-human abilities don't benefit you guys, you wouldn't have cared. Like if I could turn into poisonous gas, you'd lock me up, even if I wasn't a bad person."

"That's now what-"

Emily's glare silenced Cisco, "You try so hard for us, but when we have other good metas, you turn your back. You three are smart, really, really smart. You can think of something to help her control it, I know you can. So do some thinking."

💣~💣~💣~💣~💣

"Where's Bette?" Barry questions the next morning walking into the cortex with Emily behind her.

"She left."

Emily's eyes moved to Dr. Wells, feeling as if he had something to do with it, "Where did she go?"

"She didn't say."

"Well, where the hell could she be?" Barry demands, obviously not comfortable with the fact that Bette had just up and left.

Cisco turned to his computer, "I'll look." He quickly typed at the keys, his eyes trained on the screen, "I got back on the military feed. Looks like they've gone to the waterfront to rendezvous with Bette."