Chapter 24

The next couple weeks consisted of the professors and staff acting quite shady. Collecting some of the student's belongings, gathering some blood and hair claiming it was for "School records."

One day everyone sixth year and up who were of age already were called down to the Great Hall for a mandatory assembly. I filed in with Elena and the Prewett twins. We all sat down at the end of the Slytherin table and watched as every other sixth and seventh year wandered in, confusion evident on their faces.

"Hello students, I called you all down to the Great Hall to announce that there has been a new law enacted that impacts all of you. The recent rise of evil wizards and witches has forced Minister Bagnold to reenact a law that requires every witch and wizard who is of age to marry another that is matched to them. Over the past couple weeks, the ministry have been collecting fluids and other genetic material to find the perfect person for you. Before you leave this evening, you will know who you are matched with. You are required to marry two months after receiving the letter with the name of your person. You must produce two children within a year."

"Is that even possible?" I mutter making Fabian chuckle before shushing me.

"So please be patient while the letters are passed out" Dippet concluded his announcement. I watched as multiple rolled up pieces of parchment flew toward the person who deserved them.

One flew up to me and landed on the table in front of me. I just stared at it for a while before finally picking it up.

Dearest Charlotte Annabelle Persephone Asher,

Your match was quite tricky to produce, it kept coming up Black. Most people's potions come up white when perfect. Yours came up Black then faded into white. Strange. Like everyone's, this is subject to change but if it does, which is extremely rare, you will receive another letter.

Thank you for being cooperative with this situation. You recently had your 17 birthday three months ago in which you became of age. You must be married within two months of today and produce two children a year from today.

Congratulations future Mrs. Prewett.

Your future spouse is: Fabian Prewett

Your truly,

Minister Millicent Bagnold

I looked up to see Elena with tears in her eyes and Fabian with an unreadable expression.

"Fabian, who did you get? At least make it someone I know, so I can tell them they're lucky to have you" she said on the verge of tears. I slowly raised my hand making her gasp and smile through her tears.

"You are so lucky you got away with him" she smiled.

"Who did you get?" I asked folding my letter up on the table.

"It said my results kept changing but in the end I got Gideon" she smiled as she reached her hand across the table.

"Well, I know both of our kids are going to have bright frizzy red hair" I chuckled as Fabian smiled down at me before kissing me on the head. I thought to myself, what about the arranged marriage? But then thought back to the night I was disowned. I sighed before looking back at Fabian. At least it was someone I knew.

------------

"Now, Black. Name three ingredients to make a successful brew of Gargoyle Repellent" I said looking up at that boy who scrunched his eyebrows together as he tapped his quill against his nose.

I sat cross legged on the couch in the Slytherin common room in my Newcastle Centaurs pajama bottoms and a random over sized tee shirt. I had my big night time glasses on as I watched his thought process.