Chapter 8

When Ellen woke, she had a sickening headache. She didn’t take any paracetamol because she didn’t think she would be able to swallow them without throwing them back up again. Today she would be seeing Westlife in concert. The past week had been and gone so fast, like a speeding super car. Ellen was excited about tonight. She created a mental timetable of her day, she needed to keep calm and carry on as if it was a normal day.

 Emma was due to phone her today, as she always did. As a nurse, she had appointed herself Ellen’s carer, checking up on her every other day to make sure she was okay. Since the accident, Ellen and Emma had grown closer, and Olly had kind of joined their weekly meetings, willingly. But today, Emma hadn’t yet phoned, which was unusual as she always phoned before she set off for work, or if she had just arrived home from working a night shift. Ellen hesitated as whether to call her, but decided to wait patiently for the phone call. There was another half an hour until she needed to go to her new job as her brother’s receptionist, so she sat calmly in her arm chair and waited for the phone to ring, staring at her phone, willing it to ring soon.

 As Ellen spaced out, the phone sprung into life and the classical ringtone of a landline sounded. Ellen jumped up from her chair and picked up the phone, she pressed the little green button and held the phone to her ear:

 “Hello”

“Ellen, sorry I didn’t ring sooner but something has happened”

“What? Are you okay?”

“I’m more that okay, I’m ecstatic”

“Why?”

“OLLY PROPOSED TO ME THIS MORNING!!!”

“Oh my god, really? You will have to tell me all about it later”

“Why not now?”

“I am going to be late for my new job as my brother’s receptionist, I mustn’t be late”

“Why did you take that job?”

“Cos I need to money and he gave me a car, I couldn’t say no”

“A car, we need to discuss this”

“I will call you before the concert”

“I forgot that was today, okay I will talk to you later”

“Okay, congratulations by the way”

 Emma hung up the phone after screaming that she was so happy, and Ellen chuckled to herself and made her way to her brother’s garage. She locked the door behind her and travelled a short distance to her car. She pulled out of the space and pulled out onto the surprisingly clear main road. She was at the garage in no time, and her brother introduced her to all of the staff and they all seemed like a generally happy bunch.

 Once he was sure that she knew what she was doing, Adam got on with fixing cars, and Ellen took him and all of the other workers a cup of tea or coffee after a couple of hours work. She thought they would need refreshing, and they had a list on the wall of how everyone liked their tea/coffee. When Ellen brought the drinks out on a tray, they all looked at her with shocked faces and gratefully drank their drinks. The said that they never got brought a cup of something, but had to waste time making their own, but Ellen assured them that she would top them up with drinks every so often. As she took the empty tray away, Adam smiled at her and she gave a sweet smile back. She needed to get back to work, the books and folders were in a right state, and they needed to be sorted out should an inspector arrive without warning.

 At the end of the tiring day, Ellen tidied the now organised books away and bid a farewell to her brother, who was preparing to finish up for the day. Ellen had to rush home and get changed; she needed to make her way to the 02 quickly. She sped along the main road, doing around 70mph in a 40pmh zone. She pulled up in the parking space and legged it up the stairs. She showered and dressed to impress. She wore her dark blue skinny jeans with her ‘Keep Calm And Listen To Westlife’ t-shirt. Her shoes were red Converse and she had a red handbag to match. She looked at her watch and realised she still had a few hours until the concert. She slowed down a little, left a message on Emma’s answer phone to tell her she wouldn’t be able to call her, and make sure she had the ticket tucked safely away in her bag.

 She arrived in London an hour before the show/meet and greets were about to start and sat in her car staring at the darkening sky. The 02 arena car park was already full of people; Westlife fans, buzzing with energy. Ellen was remarkably remaining calm, which she didn’t expect. She made her way into the arena.

She past the security gates with ease and made her way over to where the concert was. She joined the queue of people, there were only a small amount of people in front of her and she had sudden inspiration to burst out into song, but she managed to contain herself. She handed her tickets to the member of staff and they smiled at her as she walked on by. She smiled to and turned to face the front of the line. She seemed to be the last person, and heard the people in front of her complaining that the meet and greets were way too early, as the concert was due to start in 45 minutes. Ellen rolled her eyes and luckily, the person in front of her didn’t see the amusing expressions she was making with her face. The ticket person laughed and the people in front of Ellen turned around. The worker turned away from them, and Ellen couldn’t help but smile as well.

 The queue got smaller and smaller and she her smile and anticipation grew the shorter the line seemed to become. Any second now she was going have her dream come true, no more fantasising about them, she would actually meet them and would feel complete. But at the back of her mind was a niggling feeling that reminded her of the fire at the diner, and hoped that the past of the fire didn’t ruin her night.