Chapter 16

The next morning, Ellen made sure that she looked presentable to Kian and Koa, wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and a baggy t shirt with a wolf face on it. She didn’t know when they would be coming, only that it would be in the morning. She kept her phone in her pocket, and waited patiently for the door to be knocked or her phone to start blaring out Uptown Girl. Although she had a hangover that could drive her insane, she had never felt happier.

 A couple of hours had passed and nothing. Ellen started to wonder whether Kian had meant what he had said, or whether they had been in some sort of accident. Her phone started to ring and Ellen answered it almost immediately. It was Kian, telling her that he was on his way, and that he would be there in about ten minutes.

 Sure enough, after exactly ten minutes, there was a knock at the door and Kian and Koa were standing outside. Ellen was about to pull them in quick as her nosy neighbour was at the top of the stairs, watching their every move, but Kian noticed him standing there and pulled her close, kissing her deeply on the lips before walking through the door. He had a cheeky grin on his face as he pulled away from the kiss, clearly he felt like he had given the neighbour something to talk about.

 Ellen and Kian spent the whole morning in deep conversation, before taking Koa to the local park. There wasn’t anybody there when they arrived, and they sat on the bench with Koa in between them. Ellen took Koa over to the infant swings whilst Kian answered a call from Shane. Once he had finished, the three of them played on the swings for half an hour. Kian and Ellen took it in turns to gently push Koa, who was laughing whilst he enjoyed getting all the attention. They took him on the slide as well, and Koa loved it so much he begged for more with a clap of his hands.

 Once they had stopped, they returned to the bench and sat down to catch their breath. Koa was sitting on Kian’s lap, and was content in staying there. Kian had his arm around Ellen, and she rested her head on his shoulder. He moved his head slowly closer to her, and when their lips met there was enough electricity to power the whole of London.

They spent the whole day together, and they walked back to Ellen’s flat after spending the majority of the day at the park. Kian and Koa stayed for dinner, and it felt like they were a family. Ellen happened to have an old cot in her spare room, and they placed Koa in it after dinner was finished. Koa looked as though he was about to drop off at the table, he had had a busy day. Kian and Ellen watched a bit of television whilst cuddled up on the sofa, Koa sleeping in the cot next to them. They turned the TV off and kissed one another contently.

The both of them fell asleep in the same place they watched television, until Koa woke up and started crying. They both jumped out of their skins and Kian sighed as Ellen climbed over to the cot. She picked up the small child and rocked him gently. He wouldn’t stop, even when Kian tried. Ellen took him off of him after his third attempt, and Ellen took a deep breath. Kian was sitting on the sofa, rubbing his eyes, and Ellen looked into the child’s eyes and started to sing one of her favourite songs:

“When the waves are crashing down

pulling you to sorrow

I will sail you back to shore

when there are no more heroes

over under, near or far

I’ll be right beside you

standing here with open arms

when there are no more heroes

And through it all

And through it all

When you’re tired and you stumble I will carry you

When starlight falls, my love will guide you home

You’ll never be alone

When there are no more heroes”

Halfway through the song, the child was asleep, and Ellen stopped singing after the first chorus. Kian stared at her in wonder as she placed the child back into the cot. She breathed out a long sigh and Kian pulled her close to him once she had sat back down and snogged her passionately. Once they paused for breath, Kian spoke softly into her ear:

“Can you sing like that for me when I can’t sleep?”

“I can sing like that for you whenever you want me to”

“Sounds like a plan” Kian was tired; Ellen could tell from the way that he slurred his last words. He rested his head on hers and started to breathe deeply. Ellen fell asleep soon after him, and Koa didn’t disturb them for the rest of the night. Kian had his arm held tightly around Ellen, and she was leaning on him with her head on his shoulder, and his head on hers. They looked so peaceful, but before Ellen went to sleep, she feared about the dream that had haunted her for every night since the accident.

The next morning Ellen woke up, and a smile grew on her face once she had realised that she was still laying on Kian, and he was still sound asleep. She carefully moved his arm so that he was no longer holding on to her, and she cautiously walked over to the cot. Koa was still asleep, and like his dad, gently snored.

Ellen had her shower and the two boys were still sleeping when she returned. Ellen then realised that it was only half past seven, and it would be rude to disturb them now. She sat in her arm chair studying the movement of Kian’s body as he breathed in and out. She tilted her head and watched his eyes flutter gently. She knew he was waking up, so she stopped staring and put the kettle on. Kian was met by the scent of fresh tea and biscuits as Ellen stood with her back to him as she placed them on the coffee table. He grabbed her waist and pulled her on to his lap, and welcomed her by kissing her repeatedly, not that Ellen was complaining.

At that precise moment Koa woke up, as if they had woken up simultaneously. Kian stood up and brought the little boy over to sit on his lap; he rocked him, and soothed him by singing him a tune. Once Kian had showered, it was Koa’s turn. They ran him a bath and placed the little boy inside. Koa loved the bath, and splashed water all over Kian and Ellen. They laughed and shook the water off of themselves. Whilst they bathed him, Ellen asked Kian how old Koa was, and Kian replied by saying that he would be eight months on the twentieth of August.

The reason Ellen asked was because Koa had started to babble words. It had started to say things that resembled words such as daddy, but Kian couldn’t hear it. Ellen was sure that she heard the child say ‘dada’ but had no proof. Ellen started to think that she was imagining it, but decided to leave the subject.

Kian and Koa returned to their flat they had in London, after saying goodbye. According to Kian; who had phoned Ellen once they had got home, Koa started to cry as soon as they had left. But as soon as he played him hr singing, from the CD they had made, he was soothed and remained calm. Ellen laughed, not believing a word he was saying. Ellen was alone for the rest of the day, and the flat felt lonely once Kian and Kao had left. She loved that child, and Kian said that she was a natural at looking after him, but Ellen wondered how long the happiness would last before something bad happened.