Chapter 19

Kian woke up with a start and looked around the room. He didn’t really recognise it, but he knew that he was in Shane’s house. He sat up in bed and rubbed his bare chest where his heart was. He pulled back the covers to reveal his boxers and sat on the side of the bed, feet touching the floor. He rubbed his eyes and rested his hands on his legs. He checked his phone, and as there were no messages, he climbed out of bed and pulled on his smart trousers and tucked his shirt into them. He left the top buttons undone; he was done with looking smart. He crept around the house, checking to see that Koa was safe in the children’s room. He was sleeping soundly and satisfied that he was well looked after, he tiptoed out of the house.

 Kian called a cab to take him to the hospital, and paid the driver once they had reached their destination. Kian was clearly tired, but it was 1am, who wouldn’t be. He sat in the waiting room before making sure the ghost was clear as he crept into the room where Ellen slept. He sat by her bed and took hold of her hand. She stirred a little, so Kian removed his hand and sat staring at her, watching her body move as she breathed. Kian longed for her to recognise him, and was sure that she would soon. He had some photos of them together, recently taken, and hoped that they would jog her memory. He waited for a few hours and started to go back to sleep, when he heard a voice speak. He looked up and saw Ellen staring at him, her eyes wide with fear.

“Please don’t scream” He whispered, and his tiredness slurred his words.

“Who are you?”

“My name is Kian Egan, I am your boyfriend, and have been for the past few weeks. Don’t you remember me?”

“No. Why can’t I remember you?” tears started running down her face, and Kian handed her a tissue from the side table.

“The doctor said you are suffering with amnesia, so you may not remember me for a while yet” Kian was now crying as well, and Ellen could tell that he was telling the truth.

“Do you have any proof that we were together, it may help me?”

“Yeah, I have these photos taken the other day in the park, with my son Koa” Kian pulled the photos out of his pocket, and handed them to Ellen. She took them and studied them, focusing on every detail she could.

“We have a son?”

“He is my son, my wife left me almost a year ago, and then I met you and well, my life was complete”

“Koa, that is a lovely name, did I like him?”

“Yes, and he loved you dearly. He can’t sleep at night unless he has heard you sing to him”

“What about now I am in hospital? He can’t be sung to by me”

“We recorded you singing, and I play that to him every night and he sleeps soundly.”

“Really, is that true?”

“Yes, the CD player is in his room right now”

“I remember singing with Westlife on stage, do you know them?”

“I am one of them, I am a member, can you remember the others?”

“Yeah, I was speaking to them yesterday, once you had left.”

“Then why can you not remember the member you loved the most?”

“I don’t know, but I am trying, I really am”

“I know you are, and don’t stop, because I don’t think that I can live without you”

“You are so sweet”

“You have told me that before”

“Have I?”

“Yeah, before our first kiss”