Chapter 9

Finally, she could see them, Westlife, in all their glory. Ellen didn’t realise how good looking they were in the flesh and she felt her knees go weak. The last people were about to finish and were just walking away when Shane looked up at the next person in the queue (Ellen), and a smile grew on his face. Ellen was standing their smiling like an anxious groupie when Shane saw her. She stepped forward and so did Shane, he called the others guys to get their attention and said in his smooth Irish accent:

“Ellen, it’s great to see you again”

“You too” Ellen’s smile was radiant, and the boy’s smiles were just as gorgeous.

“Guys, I would like to introduce you to Ellen, the woman who helped us out” they all said ‘hi’ simultaneously and Ellen jumped a little.

“I can’t believe I am finally meeting you”

“Neither can we, we have heard our kids chatting about you and your diner” Shane was still leading the conversation, until Nicky invited her to come and sit down. Ellen sat down and saw out the corner of her eye Kian pull Shane over to one side and whisper something in his ear, Shane laughed, and then they sat down to join the conversation.

“So, how is the diner?” Mark spoke, and Ellen felt like fainting.

“It’s not doing so great, I don’t know whether you knew this, but there was an accident”

“Yeah Shane and Kevin had both mentioned it” Nicky’s husky voice sounded so sympathetic, Ellen just wanted to hug him, but she managed  to restrain herself.

“But it will get rebuilt, eventually” Ellen sounded sad, and she had to smile to make herself seem okay.

“How did you get out?” Nicky spoke again, and seemed rather intrigued by the whole story.

“Someone pulled me out, apparently”

“Why apparently?”

“I didn’t see them, I was unconscious and they had gone from sight as soon as the fire crew arrived apparently, I don’t know who saved me, but I wish I could thank them” Nicky nodded, understanding every word Ellen said, and Kian started choking on his drink as soon as Ellen had mentioned that she wanted to know who saved her. Ellen was welling up at the discussion of her diner, and Shane could sense her unhappiness.

“Come on, I’m sure Ellen doesn’t want to talk about this now” Ellen smiled as if she was thanking Shane, and he nodded his head.

“Oh, Shane, didn’t you want to ask Ellen something?”

“Yeah, I did. Ellen, when I came round to your flat, did you have a radio or some music on?”

“No, why?”

“Because when I was walking up the corridor, I heard the most beautiful singing, and it sounded as though they were singing one of our songs, only it stopped when I knocked on the door.”

“Oh yeah, that wasn’t a radio, that was me singing, and it was awful”

“But Kevin mentioned to me something about you being able to sing” Mark sound eager, and Ellen sighed.

“I can’t, not very well anyway”

“Can you sing for us now?” This was the first time Kian had spoken, which was strange seeing as Ellen thought he was always one of the more confident members.

“I can’t sing though, I might burst your ear drums or something”

“Please?” Kian dragged the word out so Ellen was finding it really difficult to try and say no. eventually she spoke, and she had a nervous look on her face.