Chapter 32

With the past firmly shut behind bars, Ellen could look forward to her wedding day. Kian was bubbling with excitement according to his mother, who was putting him up the night before the wedding. Ellen was much the same and Emma almost had to sedate her to get her to sleep on the eve of her big day. Koa was with his father, so Ellen didn’t have to worry about dressing him up or feeding him.

Olly was with Kian, making sure he was okay, and so that Emma could keep informed on important information. Olly was taking that to mean texting her to tell her that he loved her every ten minutes, which meant that Emma would squeal and giggle every time a text came through. Ellen considered taking the phone away from her and texting Kian, but Emma hid the phone from her.

It had taken Ellen almost a month to make her dress perfect. She put on her dress, which was traditionally white, with a corset with small glass beads covering the top half. There were a few purple beads in amongst the clear glass ones, which made it stand out more. Emma was dressed before Ellen, so they could take time with her. There was two hours until the wedding, and the church was a couple of miles down the road, so they had plenty of time to perfect Ellen’s hair. It was curled and flowed around her shoulders, with glittery spray to hold it firm. The ringlets were large and they were clipped back to keep them out of Ellen’s face. Emma did her make-up, which looked amazing, and painted her toenails blue for luck.

They were about to make their way to the church when Ellen received a phone call.

“Hello?”

“Ellen, what are you doing, are you mad?” It was Adam, and he sounded annoyed.

“What do you mean?”

“Why aren’t I invited to your wedding?”

“I didn’t think that you would want to fly out here?”

“Too late”

“What do you mean?” The question was pointless, he had already hung up. Ellen frowned and sighed. There was a knock at her door and she heard Emma let out an annoyed groan. Ellen walked out of her room and stood at the top of the stairs to find Adam standing there in a smart suit.

“Oh my God, Adam, what are you doing here?”

“I am here for your wedding stupid” Ellen came down the stairs carefully and hugged her brother.

“Do you need someone to give you away?”

“Are you offering?”

“Don’t make me beg”

“Yes, I would love for you to give me away” she hugged him again and they made their way out of the door.

Ellen climbed into the limousine with ease (Surprisingly) shortly followed by Emma and Adam, who refused to sit next to one another. They didn’t get on, in fact, they hated each other. Adam was mean to Ellen when they were younger and Emma resented him for it. Also, Emma and he had arguments whenever they spoke to one another, so they came to the conclusion that they just shouldn’t speak. But Ellen had had enough.

The awkward silence was too much for Ellen to handle:

“Couldn’t you guys be nice to each other on my wedding day, I don’t like this silence”

“I thought you didn’t want us to argue?” Adam started the response.

“That doesn’t mean you don’t have to talk!”

“Actually when we talk, we argue, so we stay in silence” it was Emma’s turn to talk now

“Just talk a little. Ask how each other are, please, for me?”

“Fine, how are you Emma?”

“Good, I am married and have a beautiful child named Ellen, how about you?”

“I have my own garage, am not married and have no kids, but I do have an amazing workforce and a good tea-making receptionist who is also my sister”

“Thank you for that compliment, I think”

Before the conversation could continue the driver informed them that they were at the church, Ellen’s heart skipped a beat and it felt like gravity had disappeared. Ellen’s breathe was taken aback as she saw the church out of the window. It made her think of the words, and she thought of them all the way down the aisle. They were the words the song, Where We Are and as she walked down the aisle, she saw the words in her mind:

 Where we are

 Is where we’re supposed to be,

 Where we are

 Keeps the breathe in me,

Where we’ve been

We’ve risen from the deep,

Where we’re now no one can tear us apart,

That’s where we are

 (I can guess that you are singing along as that was what I am doing as I am writing it!)

Tears started trickling downs Ellen’s face as the smile grew wider on her mouth that was hidden under her veil. They finally reached Kian’s stunned features and he lifted the veil from her face and raised it over her head so it fell over her hair. He stroked her cheek and wanted to kiss her so much, he had trouble controlling himself. Adam sat on the end of the first aisle and quickly introduced himself to Nicky, Mark and Shane, who were surprised to see that Ellen had a brother.

The service went without a hitch and Ellen held her breathe when the vicar said:

“Does anyone have any objections as to why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony?” and Kian whispered:

“They better not” Luckily, no one had any objections, and Jodi didn’t turn up like Ellen thought she might. Ellen’s favourite part was signalled when the vicar spoke:

“You may kiss the bride” and Kian answered:

“With pleasure” with that comment, he grabbed Ellen round the waist and kissed her tenderly on the lips, causing her left leg to lift up in the air like in a corny fairy-tale.

Everyone was crying; Kian’s mum was crying, Olly was crying, baby Ellen was crying, Kian and Ellen were crying and Ellen could have sworn she saw Adam crying, though he denied it. There was going to be a reception at the village hall and Kian and Ellen were the first to arrive in the limousine whilst the others followed in their cars. Adam was invited to sit in the limo with them, but he thought it was disgusting seeing his sister kiss another blokes face constantly, let alone a man that he didn’t know very well, hardly at all.

The party had started and before long, everyone was getting drunk, except the bride and groom. Emma was completely out, and Olly had to take her to the hotel they were staying that night so that Kian and Ellen could have some privacy, and Koa was tired and sleeping in his grandmother’s arms. The music was playing loudly and it felt strange when it fell silent. Nicky, Mark and Shane got up on stage and said that it was time for the newlyweds to have their first dance.

Kian took Ellen’s hand and led her onto the dance floor, which was covered with confetti and rose petals. He kissed her as the music started and the crowd whistled. Nicky, Shane and Mark decided to sing ‘their song’ live for them and started to sing When a Woman Loves a Man. Kian and Ellen danced whilst three of the Westlife boys sung in perfect harmony.

When they had finished, the crowd cheered and the couple were made to sing a duet together. They sung Flying Without Wings for Emma and Olly. The party ended with everyone going home and Kian led Ellen upstairs. Her last words before they fell into bed were:

“This is getting to be a bit of a habit”