Chapter 37

Ellen’s hormones were in overdrive. She was crying at everything, and every time she saw Kian she had to kiss him, even if he just came back from going to the toilet. Kian wasn’t complaining though. He got to kiss the woman he loved more and more as the months went on, but his lips were starting to crack. This time, it was Kian who needed a break. He told Ellen that he needed to take care of something, and grabbed her in a kiss to satisfy her for an hour or two. He practically ran out of the door.

He ended up going to Shane’s house, and they played a bit of golf. They were gone for quite some time, Kian didn’t realise how long, until he turned his phone on to check the time. He always turned it off when he played golf, it was a peaceful game and he didn’t want to be disturbed.

He had no messages, or missed calls, which he was surprised by, especially as Ellen was being so needy. It turns out that Ellen was having some fun of her own. It was a weekend, and Koa was spending the whole time round his grandma’s house. Ellen took this as an advantage, until she realised that she had a scan that afternoon, and Kian had clearly forgotten. She tried to phone him, and he finally picked up.

“Hi Ellen, you okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine, but we have that scan today, remember?”

“Oh yeah, what time is it?”

“In about half an hour”

“Damn it, it will take me an hour to get to the hospital”

“I’ll go on my own, it will be fine, don’t worry”

“You know I will, but are you sure, I can try to get there”

“No, it’s fine, it’s only a scan”

“Okay, do you have any idea how guilty I feel?”

“Well you can make it up to me tonight if you want”

“again? You’re wearing me out”

“I was thinking a meal, not what you were thinking”

“Oh… right, good, I think”

“I’ll see you later”

“Text me how it goes” Ellen hung up the phone and grabbed her car keys, she needed to get to the hospital pretty quickly, luckily, it was pretty close. She drove down there, parked her car and walked into the hospital. She hated the smell of the hospital, and the white walls hurt her eyes. It was so clinical it was sickly. She went up to the desk and confirmed her appointment, then proceeded to sit down in the waiting room. She was called through a couple of minutes later. She took a deep breath and sat down in the chair. No matter how many times she saw the ultra scan of her baby, it still took her breath away.  She gasped, and the nurse smiled. She had seen that look so many times before, but it seemed so much stronger in Ellen (which was strange because when she was younger, Ellen never wanted kids, in fact she hated them). Now here she was with her large stomach and a look of shock surprise and joy all rolled into one big smile.

“Do you want to know the sex of your baby?” he nurse broke the silence, and Ellen snapped out of her trance.

“Um, I don’t know whether my husband wants to know”

“well I could tell you, but you don’t have to tell him”

“That sounds like a good idea, okay, tell me please”

“It’s a… girl, a little baby girl”

“Oh my God, Kian will be so happy”

“I’m glad” Ellen had started to cry now”

“I’m sorry, you must see this every day, it’s just I never thought I would have a child of my own”

“You look relieved that you are both okay”

“I am, I just can’t believe I am carrying a girl, now I have one of each” Ellen left shortly afterwards and sat in her car for a while, she still couldn’t believe it. She thought about phoning Kian, but decided that she would tell him in person. She made her way home, expecting Kian to be out at golf still, but he wasn’t.

When Ellen arrived home, Kian had already started dinner and she only just realised how late it was. Kian had covered the floor with rose petals and greeted her with a soft kiss on her lips. Coincidently, The Rose was playing. He took her coat and guided her into the dining room, where he pulled out her chair and lit some candles. Ellen laughed. Kian brought in her dinner and they ate in silence until Kian started staring at her.

“What?”

“You didn’t text me”

“I know, I wanted to tell you in person”

“What’s wrong, are you okay?”

“Nothing’s wrong”

“Yes is it, what is it tell me please I don’t think I want to know, actually I do want to know can you tell me, is it about the baby, or you or-“

“-we’re having a baby girl!”

“What? A little girl?”

“Yes, now will that shut you up?”

“Yeah, we’re having a girl, I’m gonna have a little angel, my little baby”

“Yeah, isn’t it great”

“I love you”

“I love you too” Kian was so happy he wanted to go to bed early, and Ellen wasn’t objecting.