Chapter 42

“What has happened Emma?”

“Um, it’s Adam”

“What about Adam, spit it out Emma” Ellen was becoming frustrated that her friend wouldn’t tell her quicker. Kian sensed this anger and held her hand, which calmed her down a little.

“He’s in hospital, there was an accident at the garage, and the jack slipped out from under the car and crushed him. He is still alive, but they don’t know for how much longer”

“Thank you for telling me Emma” Ellen hung up, and began to cry. Kian held her close to him, and gently stroked her head. Ellen told Kian what had happened once she had regained some sort of control over her emotions, and he was stunned. He immediately went on his laptop and was already booking flights to England.

“What are you doing Kian?” Ellen sobbed, confused.

“I am booking four flight tickets to England for tomorrow morning”

“Why four, I can go on my own”

“No you can’t, you need us, and I am not gonna sit here whilst you go through this torment on your own”

“Thank you”

“Hey, its part of my job description” He winked at her and Ellen ran upstairs to pack. The flights were booked. Luckily, Hannah’s passport had come through a couple of days before, so all they had to do was pack and get over there in the morning.

Once they finished packing, they needed some sleep, but that was impossible for Ellen. She laid in bed in Kian’s arms, wide awake and showing no sign of tiring. Kian sensed she was awake, and when he woke he stroked her arm that was around his body, clinging to hope. He kissed her on the lips as reassurance, and Ellen seemed to appreciate it. Ellen sighed, and Kian fell asleep again. He had only really met Adam once, and didn’t really get along with him, but that was the reason why he was so determined to get Ellen through this. The bloke was dying, her only brother, and she needed all the support she could get, after all her parents weren’t helpful in these situations.

In the morning it was like rush hour on the M25 motorway. They were running about everywhere, and eventually made it to the airport. Ellen was welling up again as they boarded the flight, and held Hannah close to her. Adam hadn’t met her yet, but she knew that he wanted to. They sat on the plane anxiously for what felt like months. It was only a few hours, but it was enough to drive Ellen mad. They finally landed and Ellen ran off of the plane, and the four of them got a taxi to the hospital where Adam was admitted.

When they arrived, Ellen was trying to contain the tears that were fast forming in her eyes. They all went up to the desk and Kian asked for the ward that Adam was in; Ellen was too upset to say anything. When they went into the ward, Emma and Olly were there, and were about to leave.

“What are you guys doing here?” Kian sounded confused.

“We feel somewhat responsible, you see, it was our car he was working on, that is how we knew before your family” Olly sounded so sincere, Ellen hugged him and Emma before looking at her unconscious brother on the bed, tubes and wires covering his lifeless body.

“It’s not your fault” Ellen said, with a slight tone of anger.

“We had better go, and leave you alone with him” Emma sensed that her best friend needed to be alone with her family.

When they left, Ellen let out a huge sigh and began to cry. She knelt down beside the bed and took her brothers hand in her own. Kian walked over and held Hannah toward him.

“Hey Adam, I know you can hear me, Kian and I wanted you to meet your niece, Hannah” understandably, there was no reply, and after a couple of minutes Kian suggested he took the kids to the hotel that they had pre-booked, he didn’t want them to see their Mummy upset. Ellen agreed and was left alone in the room with her brother, and the humming of the machines around them working frantically to keep him alive.