Chapter 22

It took them a while to get to the reception as Kian and Ellen were standing at the altar kissing, and Shane, Nicky and Mark bet that the vicar regretted telling Kian to kiss the bride, as he wouldn’t stop kissing Ellen. They were also getting Jodi to sign divorce papers, which had happened before their wedding took place.

 Once they did arrive though, the hall that was hired out was massive, and all of Jodi’s family had gone home, disappointed with what she had done. Ellen stood outside with Kian shaking the hands of everyone who turned up, and Ellen wished that her best friends were here to witness her true happiness. However, just as Kian and Ellen were about to walk into the hall, a taxi pulled up and out climbed Emma and Olly. They ran towards the pair and grabbed them in a huge bear hug, which they couldn’t escape from.

“How did you get here?” Ellen was shocked but happy that they were here.

“Kian phoned us” Kian looked at Ellen and told her that she needed her friends on this one. She kissed him and they all walked in.

 The party went on until it was evening, and the newlyweds hadn’t yet danced. The weather was bliss, there was no rain and all of the stars were out with a full moon joining them. The speakers were so loud that they could be heard from outside, and Ellen and Kian were together the whole evening. The time came for them to take their places for the first dance, but Kian had a better idea. He pulled the speakers nearer to the door, called everyone outside and took Ellen by the hands once everybody had assembled. Their song came on, which was ‘When a Woman Loves a Man’ and they started to dance beautifully.

“There is nothing like dancing on your wedding day under a starry night with the woman you love”

“There is nothing like being with the man who you loved all your life”

“God I love you so much”

“I love you too” They hugged whilst twirling on the tarmac dance floor, and Kian picked Ellen up and spun her around. All the guests had started joining in on their dance by now, and Olly and Emma were whispering and shushing one another, as if they were excited about something. They danced over to the centre of the dance floor where Kian and Ellen were, and told them they had an announcement. At the end of the song, everybody returned inside as it turned colder, and danced some more after the speeches. The speeches were slightly dull, but when Kian spoke, Ellen was in tears at what he had to say.

 “A few years ago, I would never have imagined that I would be here, on my wedding day, a divorce behind me and a small child sleeping in the corner. When I met Ellen, the second time, I fell in love with her instantly. The first time was when I saved her life and she was unconscious, so I didn’t really have time to fall in love, but when I did, it was the most magical feeling in the world. It took some time to get our act together, as we were hesitant at what would be best for Koa, but when he called Ellen ‘mummy’ I knew that I would spend the rest of my life with her. Words can’t express how much I love her, and when she rebuffed my advances the first time, I had to make it bloomin’ obvious that I had fallen for her. Ellen, I love, and that will never change, I want to grow old with you, I want to be there for you when you are ill, I want to hold you every night until I die. I love you baby”

 Ellen was crying, and kissed him once he had sat back down. He held her hand and kissed her softly. Then, it was the lads turn. They all stood up and took it in turns to speak.

“Kian, mate, you have picked the best apple from the tree, you really have. Ellen is funny, beautiful and kind.” Mark spoke first, and then Shane:

“Ellen, do you remember when you first met us at the concert, and Kian whispered something in my ear. Do you know what he said? He told me that he was astonished at how hot you looked, and he said that his heart skipped a beat when he saw you”

“Kian, and Ellen, you are made for each other, and my God Kian, if you break her heart, I will break your face” The audience burst out laughing, as did Nicky part way through sentence. “Being serious now, anybody can me a mother and a father, but it takes a great man and woman to be mummy and daddy” Ellen was crying still, and then it was Emma’s turn to talk. Ellen held her breath because she didn’t know what Emma was going to say.

 “Ellen and Kian, wow, you have been through so much together, and I hope you are as happy as I am with Olly. I want to congratulate you for being so strong, even when things got tough, and I just want you to know that she is going to be called Ellen, after you”

“Who is?”

“Oh, I forgot to tell you, I’M PREGNANT!”

“Oh, my God that’s amazing!”

“I don’t mean to steal your thunder, but she is going to be called Ellen, after my best friend, and Kian if you hurt her, I will hunt you down, do you hear me?” Kian gave a little salute and Emma sat back down, Olly hugging her waist, as if hugging the unborn child.

 After the speeches, more dancing followed, but Kian and Ellen were outside staring up at the night sky. There was nothing more romantic than that moment, and Kian had an arm around Ellen’s waist, and her head was resting on his shoulder. Koa came out with his grandmother, and she took Kian’s hand and told him:

“Your father would have been so proud of you” After that, she handed Koa to Ellen and walked back inside after kissing Kian on the cheek. Kian had started to cry, and Ellen stroked his arm and comforted him and Koa. Koa was oblivious, and Kian sniffed and returned back to normal. He looked at Koa sitting on Ellen’s lap and smiled. He took Koa from her and sat him on his lap and told asked him who Ellen was. Again, the little boy replied ‘Mummy’, and Kian and Ellen went back inside. Koa was getting sleepy, and it was time for the newlyweds to say goodbye to their relatives and friends. Emma and Olly had booked a hotel, and had got a cab the same time as Ellen and Kian left, with Koa wrapped in Kian’s arms.

Once they were at Kian’s house, Koa fell asleep with the help of Ellen’s singing and Kian took Ellen by the hand and led her to the master bedroom. Both of them fell asleep satisfied and woke up in the same position, Ellen’s head on Kian’s chest and Kian’s arm around Ellen’s waist. It was the first time that they had slept together; after all, it was their wedding night.